Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN Rick View Post
Its funny you should ask that today of all days... I've ridden the '18 Husky T250i earlier this year. But today I traded with a friend and rode his '17 KTM 250. Counterbalanced with a Lectron carb and AER forks. One heck of a bike I tell ya. But I was still happy to trade back, and he was reluctant. He's a long time KTM rider, used to work at a KTM dealership. He's an A line rider in the states, and a Pro line rider in Canada. Fast little bugger he is.. I asked if my GP had converted him... His reply was that if he could get parts from GasGas at the same discount as his current sponsor gets him from KTM he would switch in a heartbeat. He absolutely loved the bike. And was very reluctant to give it back again. I liked his bike ok. But very much preferred mine. They are very different. Don't let the look of the frame make you think otherwise. They feel different, handle different, etc. The KTM has always felt skittish in the front end to me. The Gassers feel planted, and compliant.
But don't take my word for it. Go ride one. That will be all the proof you need to walk into your nearest dealer with a deposit in hand.
The point you make about the front end being skittish is my only real complaint with my bike. Well that and it?s tedious maintenance and adjustment. I?m constantly having bolts and nuts come loose, even had my rear sprocket and axle nut come loose. Could have been real bad. I just got back from a ride and the bike is really good besides those issues. Like you said I just need to ride a gasgas. Somehow.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:42 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockytoptenn View Post
The point you make about the front end being skittish is my only real complaint with my bike. Well that and it?s tedious maintenance and adjustment. I?m constantly having bolts and nuts come loose, even had my rear sprocket and axle nut come loose. Could have been real bad. I just got back from a ride and the bike is really good besides those issues. Like you said I just need to ride a gasgas. Somehow.
I've had some bolts come loose from the factory. But after they were tightened it never happened again. None of them were critical. Kinda sucked but I'm over it by now.

Where do you live? Slim chance but I know a bunch of owners and dealers. Maybe I can hook you up? or maybe another forum member may be willing to help you out?
Old 08-12-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I've had some bolts come loose from the factory. But after they were tightened it never happened again. None of them were critical. Kinda sucked but I'm over it by now.

Where do you live? Slim chance but I know a bunch of owners and dealers. Maybe I can hook you up? or maybe another forum member may be willing to help you out?
I?m in Nashville, Tennessee. The closest dealer is in Chattanooga about 2 hours away.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I?m in Nashville, Tennessee. The closest dealer is in Chattanooga about 2 hours away.
Right square in the middle of my social dead zone.. Lol.
Sorry dude. Can't help ya with that one. My bike is free for anyone to test ride. But you gotta come to Canada to try it out.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
There's a dealer in Cookeville, TN. Less than 1 hour away. Performance Supercycle. 931-268-3551 Performance Super Cycle 288 Old Gainesboro Hwy Cookeville TN 38501
Old 08-13-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Right square in the middle of my social dead zone.. Lol.
Sorry dude. Can't help ya with that one. My bike is free for anyone to test ride. But you gotta come to Canada to try it out.
No worries thanks for the offer
Old 08-13-2018, 09:09 AM

I have had KTM for over 8 years now, my last one was a six days 250 on a 16 model, I can tell you with hand on hart that my gg250 2018 is a better bike even with the poor jetting it comes with.
It turns so well even under hard braking, soaks up deflections like water on the forks (which my old ktm used to spit me off if I hit anything hard like a square faced rock). I took a chance with buying one as I had not had a gg for years now but I did some research and the gamble has payed off for me. I payed 6k for my bike when my mates with ktm were paying 7+k so that was a winner.
I hope the tips on here will sort my jetting issues this week and at the start of the new year I think I will go for the 19 model, that's how good it is.
that's my opinion hope it help.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:07 PM

I had a 17 KTM250XC. Hated the AER forks. Spent $1300 and installed Dal Soggio Sphere cartridges. Also installed a different linkage arm/ratio and had a shop redo the shock to match. (another $850 for all the parts and changes and shipping). At that point the bike was really good. The new 18 GG is very good stock. If I had both bikes now I would probably not be riding the KTM very much. I got to test ride the new KTM 250 TPI stock and another identical bike with reworked Cone Valve forks and Trax shock. The stock bike was too soft and deflected on the short loop they setup in PA. The bike with the cones and trax was spectacular although with over 7k in suspension work it should be! My bike right before this GG was a YZ250X. The GG suspension feels slightly better stock vs stock. The factory connection setup on my YZ250X was very good and the GG stock is totally raceable with just a spring change.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:38 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

to get a balanced view have you asked this question on ktmtalk (or whatever its called)? lol
Old 08-14-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
to get a balanced view have you asked this question on ktmtalk (or whatever its called)? lol
All the orange koolaid drinkers joined this forum after riding a Gasser when they tested one and realized how good a dirtbike can actually be.