Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > United Kingdom

Old 01-03-2015, 06:44 AM

Default Aaahh Bollocks

a couple of months ago i went for a ride on my bike and it started to make a funny screeching noise so I pulled up and wheeled it home.

I thought it was the cylinder seizing as when I took the exhaust off i thought i could see scoring on the piston, so I whipped the cylinder off to find that there was an itsy bitsy bit of scoring so i decided to send it to langcourt and have it re plated and fit my new wiseco piston.

come to take out the old piston and the conrod is slopping around like a ho's kebab.

so after spending a couple of hundred quid on a fresh top end, now I find out it needs an engine rebuild, which judging by the cost of it aint gonna be happening anytime soon.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:10 AM

Feel for you
Top end is expensive enough to refresh
My old KTM gave up on me on a dual carriage way cost to get picked up then bike cost me a top and bottom (big end bearings went at 60mph)

Ken
Old 01-03-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendog View Post
Feel for you
Top end is expensive enough to refresh
My old KTM gave up on me on a dual carriage way cost to get picked up then bike cost me a top and bottom (big end bearings went at 60mph)

Ken
whoa!! bet that wasn't cheap, im building my own house here in lithuania,luckily i managed to score a ?200 so that sewed up the top end ...but i rekon its gonna be at least a ?250/300 inc labour to rebuild it.

im stuck really as the bike is 17 years old, ive already spent about a grand on it so unless i find the cash from somewhere it's gonna just sit in my shed,i rekon its never been rebuilt downstairs but i was really looking forward to doing an enduro here in april...guess not now
Old 01-03-2015, 10:59 AM

you've gone this far might as well rebuild the complete engine and ride it for a few more years
Old 01-03-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhybrids View Post
you've gone this far might as well rebuild the complete engine and ride it for a few more years
your'e right and I also know it,but trying to wing this past the household purchasing department will be tougher than the erzberg rodeo
Old 01-03-2015, 01:09 PM

To be fair I know someone from Sunderland who rebuilds the engine for ?120 including press and balancing of crank.

Done mine now twice and refurbed my forks for ?90.
Depends On who you know but the crank for my ktm was worn and cost me ?400 from America (hot rods)

Our hobbys cost bud your In it half way just Finnish the job and now you know she is like a Virgin and we would all like one of them every now and again

Ken
Old 01-05-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage sausage View Post
a couple of months ago i went for a ride on my bike and it started to make a funny screeching noise so I pulled up and wheeled it home.

I thought it was the cylinder seizing as when I took the exhaust off i thought i could see scoring on the piston, so I whipped the cylinder off to find that there was an itsy bitsy bit of scoring so i decided to send it to langcourt and have it re plated and fit my new wiseco piston.

come to take out the old piston and the conrod is slopping around like a ho's kebab.

so after spending a couple of hundred quid on a fresh top end, now I find out it needs an engine rebuild, which judging by the cost of it aint gonna be happening anytime soon.
At least you found out whilst it was in the garage and not throttle pinned on a track or trail but even so i feel for you. May i suggest looking at the latest 0% credit cards. Theres some 2years of 0% around which might at least give u some breathing room!
Old 01-12-2015, 11:32 AM

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18431

my post on bottom end rebuild just in case you didn't see it!
2006 EC300 Enduro - Ignitech CDI - 38/NECW#2/165 FMF gnarly, FMF shorty, .50 front 5.7 rear

2016 RM-Z450