Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 02-28-2014, 05:14 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Shotgun Creek (OR) Report 22-Feb-14

Let's see, temps in the 50s with blue skies and plenty of sun...perfect day to be out in the woods

Loaded the GG and headed to my buddy's house as we were all going to drive down together. Another buddy had to do a bit of back-tracking to meet us, but it still made more sense than heading out separately. We were on the road by 7:30, made a quick stop for fuel, then arrived at staging shortly after 9:00.

It was a little cool to start things off, but not too bad. My plan was to try and do a loop that connected the trails in the western part of the park with those in the east. All was going well until we couldn't find trail 14, which was a bummer as that's one of the few single track trails out there.

We started off on trail 1A and had a good time riding up to the new staging area; they did an awesome job putting this area together. Great views and a perfect beginner trail for newer riders to hit. We headed back down after missing the turn off for trail 28, but found it and that was a fun little piece of trail.

I was a little worried about finding downed trees in the way, but the folks from BLM cleared anything that was down. The trails were in pretty good condition, though it's crazy how slick that clay can be if you're trying to climb. A number of monstrous puddles and deep ruts kept things entertaining.

After messing around on all the trails we could find in the western section, we stopped for a bite to eat. Had the riders we saw in staging come riding by, but those were the only riders we saw out on the trails all day.

Failing to find trail 14, we headed back toward staging in the hopes of finding trail 15 off one of the logging roads. Wasted 8 miles going up and down and since time was getting short, we just hit the trails to the east of staging.

The only trouble spots were trying to climb trail 24 and then doing the same thing on trail 25. Trail 24 was a deeply rutted, clay filled mess of nothing but up - tucked tail and headed back down. Attempting to climb trail 25 didn't work out that well either, but at least I was running video when my buddy looped his bike...lol. Fortunately, he was ok and the only damage was the tail light flying off. Tucked our tails again and decided to loop back around and go down 25 instead.

You never know where we're going to end up with my buddy leading, so we did a complete circuit of a few trails again, then figured out we had to get back to staging so he'd be home in time to stay out of the dog house.

As it turns out, Murphy decided to throw a little of his action our way. We pulled into the staging area and were met by a couple of deputies checking permits and safety cards. Now, on the way down to Shotgun in the morning, one of my friends related how he forgot to get his new permit out of his truck and on the bike before putting it on the trailer. And to make matters worse, neither of 'em knew about the new regs requiring safety cards. I think I'm glad we look pretty oldish as the deputies were nice and told us to take care of it before we headed out again...lol.

All in all, we logged 38 miles and didn't have any issues. Great day down at Shotgun, always fun to rip around that area. Tons of video to follow

Old 03-01-2014, 03:38 AM

Jealous ! Some fabulous countryside there Good times.......
Old 03-01-2014, 07:39 PM

Man, looks like I missed a great day of riding! I didn't think there was that much trail there. Looks fun! Next time for sure.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:24 PM

Thanks gents

Russ...we'll have to hook up for a rip soon. I know I'm booked next weekend (Mar 8), but hope to try and get out the weekend after that...want to check and see what your schedule looks like on the 15th?

I want to get out and ride again now...lol.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:13 PM

Brad,

On shift 15th, but have 16th off. I'll see if I can get someone to switch with me if 16th doesn't work for you.

Hopefully the weather cooperates!
Old 03-02-2014, 02:34 PM

Does Shotgun run on parts of Weyerhaeuser land still? I have been there a couple times with the ETRA guys. It sure gets dry there in the summer time.
2009 450EXC Sold to Rapid Dog EURO Factory Anti-Hop slipper clutch, GPR V4, Akropovic Full Ti Exhaust, 2013 suspension and wheels.
2009 300XC
2005 525 MXC
2000 WR 400
1996 XR 600
1987 CR500
1990 KX500
Old 03-03-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firffighter View Post
On shift 15th, but have 16th off. I'll see if I can get someone to switch with me if 16th doesn't work for you.
Can't do the 16th amigo - have the Shamrock run to attend with our two little guys as my wife's running the 15k

Let's keep in touch about the 15th, a couple buddies hit TSF last weekend and the trails are snow-free. I can't wait to get back out there and ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamovru View Post
Does Shotgun run on parts of Weyerhaeuser land still?
It definitely does and from what the locals told me, you have to be careful if you decide to head off the normal trails onto any user created trails - sounds like Weyerhaeuser pays to have the local deputies patrol those and nail anyone caught trespassing After looking at the map, I think the reason we couldn't find trail 14 is because the logging road we needed goes through their land and there were signs posted about no OHVs. We turned back as we didn't want to chance it, but I think the signs weren't meant for the logging road, just jumping off it

Anyway, it's a fun area to explore...damn slick clay though...lol.