Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 12-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default 2 Thumbs Up on 48 CC Zokes!

Just wanted to say that I'm impressed with the 48mm CC Zokes. My tuner did a good job. They feel just as good as the KYB SSS forks that were on my YZ250. Which I didn't think was going to be possible, but the performance in the dirt don't lie. I can pretty much hit anything from roots to whoops to jumps to G outs and they suck it all up with no fuss. It is going to get better too, I still have haven't played with the PFP and I'm still fine tuning it.

Current ride: 2009 WR450

Previously owned: 12 Gas Gas XC300R, 06 WR450, 06 YZ250, 05 Gas Gas EC250, 05 KTM 450EXC, 02 KX250 w/EG310 kit, 03 YZ250F

Old 12-19-2013, 09:29 PM

Funny you should mention the PFP. I googled info on adjusting with it and I am as yet not quite sure what it does and when to use it.

As far as the 48mm Zokes go , the biggest plus is its ability to soak up big hits ( either G-outs or jumps). In stock form both the fork an 888 Ohlins shock are too stiff and very lacking in rebound. The forks required two shims worth of bleed to soften them and about the same in the rebound stack.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

2 shims worth is a bit vague

I'm still working on breaking mine in. They were pretty stiff out of the box, but don't feel all that bad after a few minutes. I imagine they'll get better.

From what I understand the PFP is like changing the ICS in a set of KYB/Showas. (The internal spring). Or increasing the pressure on a WP Bladder fork.

Less preload can plushen up the initial action of the fork, while cranking it down will firm it right up. I don't imagine it will be something that I use too much. More likely I'll set it towards the midde and then work on the stacks.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
Funny you should mention the PFP. I googled info on adjusting with it and I am as yet not quite sure what it does and when to use it.

As far as the 48mm Zokes go , the biggest plus is its ability to soak up big hits ( either G-outs or jumps). In stock form both the fork an 888 Ohlins shock are too stiff and very lacking in rebound. The forks required two shims worth of bleed to soften them and about the same in the rebound stack.
The PFP is basically an external pre-load adjuster.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

http://shimrestackor.com/Code/Sample...S/ics-perf.htm
Old 12-20-2013, 05:13 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgasser300 View Post
The PFP is basically an external pre-load adjuster.
I agree. It increases the amount of hydraulic pressure that has to be overcome prior to the damper rod moving in the cartridge, it's preload.

The cool thing about it is that the ramp from preloaded to movement can theoretically be controlled by shim stacks, and then you can vary the ramp with a change in pfp preload, it's much more complicated than a simple spring preload variation, but appears the same. I think that it adds almost too much variability, bit like the shim controlled bottoming valve and needle variable pds style valving in 4cs forks, tuners are struggling to unlock the more tunable aspects of both systems, but it all holds a lot of promise. All IMHO

Current. 2015 ec300r estart, 98 RM 125

2013 Ec300r 2011 Ec300e 2009 Husky TE310
1982 XR500 Honda 1981 KE100 Kawasaki
1978 GT80 Yamaha
Old 12-20-2013, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

Agree Simmo. Its the pressure on the inner cartridge, or if you think of it like a shock its similar to varying the N2 pressure. A big consideration is that if running not much PFP and relatively stiff stacks it may cause cavitation in the chamber. I think for me personally, I'll be simply trying to tune the stacks to work, and then using as little PFP as required.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:30 AM

What behaviors would I use tha PFP to tune ?
Old 12-20-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Agree Simmo. Its the pressure on the inner cartridge, or if you think of it like a shock its similar to varying the N2 pressure. A big consideration is that if running not much PFP and relatively stiff stacks it may cause cavitation in the chamber. I think for me personally, I'll be simply trying to tune the stacks to work, and then using as little PFP as required.
It's worthwhile running a lighter rate or shorter PFP spring as well. That makes the adjuster effective up and down.

PlusOnePerformance
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 12-20-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
What behaviors would I use tha PFP to tune ?
If im understanding correctly, the initial travel of the fork.
Assuming all things being equal, more preload on the PFP gives a firmer initial stroke, and less gives a softer one.
Its more complex than just that, as it is affected by valving as the others have said.
Say you were riding in the bush early in the day, then after lunch went to a faster, jumpy sort of track, you would probably give a turn in on the PFP to accommodate the faster riding later.
This is all relative, and some guys ride mx fast in the bush, but the bush/mx example is one that was often used to describe where you would use it.

The advantage, I think, is that you can have plusher valving for slower terrain, but then when you get to a faster track, you could crank up the PFP and you wont be beaten up so badly. It makes the fork more versatile before needing to be re valved.