Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-13-2023, 07:19 AM

Default A little help please for someone new to gasgas trials bikes

I would like to ask for some advice. I'm new to owning a trials bike so bare that in mind please when answering as all I'm asking is for advice not a grilling from you know the type of riders who think there better than everyone else.

I have just purchased a 1993 gasgas jt125 in reasonable condition. I replaced the reeds in the valve with new ones, bike has spark (new plug etc) but will only start if I put a drop of fuel in the cylinder. It will then run but stalls as seams to be fuel or air starved.

Ive been told to clean the carb which I will do. Is there anything else I should also be looking at?

Old 05-13-2023, 07:34 AM

Check to make sure fuel is making it to the carb from the tank. If it is then, yes, it's the carb. If not, the petcock and/or fuel line is plugged.

More than likely it's the carb. I strongly recommend to just replace the pilot jet in the carb with a new one. Trying to clean out the old one can be a futile exercise a lot of times.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 05-13-2023, 03:22 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

When I first got my 200, which is based on the 125 it had a delorto carb that was inconveniently placed. On hands and knees you need to poke the choke lever so it stands up vertical. Otherwise it won't start. I felt a bit stupid not being able to start my new to me bike.

I drilled the end of the lever when it was out so I could tied a cord to it to release it.

The other trick it used to play was the metal float valve would get stuck in closed position. Guess what? No fuel in bowl to start the bike. Swine! Everyone else uses viton tipped valves but not delorto.

It might release if you tap it. But the best thing is to Always turn the tap off and run it until the float bowl is empty. That way the valve will be open next time fuel hits it.

One of these two things could be it. Failing that blow through choke cct and pilot jet.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 05-13-2023, 10:32 PM

Thanks for your replies. It's really appreciated and fingers crossed when home next weekend I will be definitely checking everything you guys mentioned. Again thanks 👍
Old 05-14-2023, 04:07 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

trials bikes tend to stand unused for long periods when people become injured or loose interest. good chance the carb is blocked

and trials bikes are built to be really compact. If you thought a gg enduro wa a PIA to get to all parts, wait till you have to work on a trials bike LOL
Old 05-14-2023, 04:43 PM

If you are in the USA call Jim Snell for parts and info he has videos on YouTube also.

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280