Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:45 AM

Somehow we need to get spark at lower rpm, the rpm's that my starter gives at cranking should be enough to start the bike. I'm not willing to buy new starter, it seems pointless waste to me, if it's turning the engine with reasonable rpm, it's not starter's problem, but cdi or stator problem. In wireing, the circuits are independent, there is no difference to ecu, is it kickstarted, e-started or push started. I took all unnessesary off from the bike including light's, dash, nothing changes. If anyone has idea, what to do to get good spark at lower rpm, it would solve the problem at least for my bike.

What is different in wires on 2019 models? Are cdi's interchangeable? Flywheel the same?

Old 05-28-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post
Somehow we need to get spark at lower rpm, the rpm's that my starter gives at cranking should be enough to start the bike. I'm not willing to buy new starter, it seems pointless waste to me, if it's turning the engine with reasonable rpm, it's not starter's problem, but cdi or stator problem. In wireing, the circuits are independent, there is no difference to ecu, is it kickstarted, e-started or push started. I took all unnessesary off from the bike including light's, dash, nothing changes. If anyone has idea, what to do to get good spark at lower rpm, it would solve the problem at least for my bike.

What is different in wires on 2019 models? Are cdi's interchangeable? Flywheel the same?
I don't know on the interchangeability of the 2019 to 2018, the dealer sent him the ECU trying to help out. The cranking speed isn't the problem, his starter cranks faster than the kick starter. The problem might be the voltage drop because of the draw of the starter but I doubt it because it still won't start if jumped off a car battery which would for sure keep the voltage up. This is why I think it's in the ECU or the wiring harness which might have a circuit that bypasses a resistor during cranking. I would know this if I had a quality wiring diagram.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:45 PM

Quick update: We put a wiring harness on the bike and now it starts like a dream. Fingers crossed it lasts more than a week.lol
Old 05-28-2019, 11:45 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Wow! Did you replace it with a 2019 wiring harness? I was under the impression that that was cost prohibitive. Do you have a part number? Thanks

Jeff
Old 05-29-2019, 12:58 PM

It was for a 2018 and cost about $80 for the harness.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:26 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thanks! Interesting that a new wiring harness solved the problem. That's the first time I've heard of that as a fix to the starting problem on a 2018, so the info. is appreciated!

Jeff
Old 05-30-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerj View Post
Thanks! Interesting that a new wiring harness solved the problem. That's the first time I've heard of that as a fix to the starting problem on a 2018, so the info. is appreciated!

Jeff
I have suspected from day one that there's some kind of bypass circuit that allows full battery voltage while cranking and for some reason this circuit was open thus no spark while cranking. I could not find a decent wiring diagram to study so that I prove my theory. My friend just took a gamble and bought a harness as a last ditch effort to solve his problem.

The way the subframe can pull on the harness while assembling the bike could be the cause.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrooster View Post
I have suspected from day one that there's some kind of bypass circuit that allows full battery voltage while cranking and for some reason this circuit was open thus no spark while cranking. I could not find a decent wiring diagram to study so that I prove my theory. My friend just took a gamble and bought a harness as a last ditch effort to solve his problem.

The way the subframe can pull on the harness while assembling the bike could be the cause.
I can not really understand the cause!
My battery (2018 OEM) turns the estart, but not enough for the engine to turn on!
It seems to be missing a bit.
A stronger battery would solve the problem, the principle.
But will the alternator keep this battery fully charged without damage for how long?
I really do not know if it's worth spending money on batteries?
Several reports that the problem comes back in a short time.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:13 PM

My friends bike started good for about 3 days and then the screw that holds the bearing on the worm gear backed out for the second time and bound up the starter. He has replaced almost every part related to the starting system and many of the parts have been replaced twice. Even with the help and discounts of his local dealer he has spent about $1,000 on starting system related parts and I can't even begin to guess how many hours. He is now looking at buying a TM or a Beta. I know another guy who's family has 3 of the same model GasGas 300 bikes and he hasn't had any trouble with the starters on any of them but he is on his 3rd complete top end on one of his bikes. I guess it's luck of the draw on these bikes whether you get a good one.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASGASCWB View Post
I can not really understand the cause!
My battery (2018 OEM) turns the estart, but not enough for the engine to turn on!
It seems to be missing a bit.
A stronger battery would solve the problem, the principle.
But will the alternator keep this battery fully charged without damage for how long?
I really do not know if it's worth spending money on batteries?
Several reports that the problem comes back in a short time.
If you are removing the subframe and don't take the time to carefully disconnect the ECU and it's wiring harness you will put a lot of strain on the very small wires at the ECU plug in. This might cause damage in the wires in the harness or the connector and that could cause problems.