Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-02-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrooster View Post
My friends bike started good for about 3 days and then the screw that holds the bearing on the worm gear backed out for the second time and bound up the starter. He has replaced almost every part related to the starting system and many of the parts have been replaced twice. Even with the help and discounts of his local dealer he has spent about $1,000 on starting system related parts and I can't even begin to guess how many hours. He is now looking at buying a TM or a Beta. I know another guy who's family has 3 of the same model GasGas 300 bikes and he hasn't had any trouble with the starters on any of them but he is on his 3rd complete top end on one of his bikes. I guess it's luck of the draw on these bikes whether you get a good one.
I really do not believe it to be a bad starter system, everything mechanical can obviously have faults and poorly designed or assembled components, but I think the issue here with a lot of people is that they are blindly throwing parts and money by the way to a problem without actually diagnosing what is wrong. I truly think that all the solutions to each and every starting issue can be found in these threads. It just takes a logical systematic approach to sort it out. Saying this there obviously is not enough competent mechanics at dealers who can help out in this regard which may be more of a failing than the starter motors. Perhaps I should do a list of the common things that go wrong and the associated fixed in a order based list so people can check them out?
Really it is not a complicated system and has been around since 2015 and I myself seeing many bikes with 2-300 hours on original components. Nocams here has a billion hours on his 2018 already...