Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Default Seat cutting into Airfilter

Hey all,

Just curious if anyone else has had this problem and if so how they have resolved it?

Problem is the plastic lip on the seat that hooks in under the tank keeps rubbing against the top of the filter where it hooks over the filter frame. End result is a tear across the filter.

I'm onto my 3rd filter now in 1600kms. Some would say 800km per filter is acceptable. Not me, considering the rest of it is in perfect condition. Wasted coins.

I trimmed back any rough edges after I first noticed, but it hasn't seemed to fully solve the issue

Old 05-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

This Twin Air cage has more room at the top of the filter and the seat bottom.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...er+cage&page=3
Old 05-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks,

Not sure I really want to lay down some coin for a new frame. I noticed you also need to buy the special filters.

After I inspected the old filter against the new one I have, I can see that there has been quite a bit of deterioration around the foam. Mostly on the mounting edge. I also tend to wash and reoil between every ride. At no point has the engine been dusted due to this happening.

I might just have to consider it a consumable.

Also forgot to mention its a 2010 model.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

The Twin Air filter cage can be used with the OEM filter,you just have to poke the pins through the filter.

You can grind the top of the OEM filter cage so the filter would sit a little lower. Probably could take about 3mm off the upper radius and still have enough support for the filter at the intake boot.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:23 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Not had this on my 2010,went out & checked it to be sure.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:44 PM

Ha Jakobi, ive had this issue of late as well.
Ive got 3 newish filters with tear up the top. I got sick of buying new ones and it still doing it so i spoke to Scotties about it, and it is fairly common. The cage can rub up against the seat and then the filter tears through.

I just tried last week gluing the foam in this spot. I used Kwik grip gel, just around the area of the tear (Mine where not torn through both elements)
Worked a treat. Have since washed the filter twice and its holding up well. (I wash mine in turps and then hot soapy water)
No breakdown of the glue and it hasnt melted the foam either.

I taking this as a winner and doing it to all of them now.
Let me know how you go.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSE.ONE View Post
Ha Jakobi, ive had this issue of late as well.
Ive got 3 newish filters with tear up the top. I got sick of buying new ones and it still doing it so i spoke to Scotties about it, and it is fairly common. The cage can rub up against the seat and then the filter tears through.

I just tried last week gluing the foam in this spot. I used Kwik grip gel, just around the area of the tear (Mine where not torn through both elements)
Worked a treat. Have since washed the filter twice and its holding up well. (I wash mine in turps and then hot soapy water)
No breakdown of the glue and it hasnt melted the foam either.

I taking this as a winner and doing it to all of them now.
Let me know how you go.
Right on NSE. The first one I binned as it worked through both layers. The second one is just about at that point. I may try the glue trick.

I also wash with turps and follow with soapy water. I had been applying a nice big dollop of grease on the area as a fail safe.

I have been curious if the seat rubs while riding, or if the bulk of the damage is caused by fitting the seat. I also wonder if either the filter frame or seat part can be trimmed back to lessen the problem.

As mentioned though. Comparing the new filter against the old one, it was clearly visible that the older one was quite a bit more worn than I thought.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:36 AM

On my '07 the seat base lip has the molded in ridges relieved, and I have nevr had a problem. In fact I never thought of it in four years until reading this thread, and just checked mine. Its likely juat a tolerance issue on the fit. Looking at it, I'd trim the center of the lip as much as needed while still providing enough area/strength to hold the seat dowm. The right way to do it but a PIA would be to pull the rear plastic so you could see inside the airbox with the seat base on. As far as fixing filters, hot melt glue seems to work well on good clean foam.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
On my '07 the seat base lip has the molded in ridges relieved, and I have nevr had a problem. In fact I never thought of it in four years until reading this thread, and just checked mine. Its likely juat a tolerance issue on the fit. Looking at it, I'd trim the center of the lip as much as needed while still providing enough area/strength to hold the seat dowm. The right way to do it but a PIA would be to pull the rear plastic so you could see inside the airbox with the seat base on. As far as fixing filters, hot melt glue seems to work well on good clean foam.
Any chance you could take a picture of the lip under your seat?? Maybe provide a few measurements.

I thought it may have been a burred edge from the casting process and have cleaned them all up. Still appears to be happening though.

Hot stanley knife would have to be the best tool for the job you'd think.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:36 AM

Mate im just going to put glue in that area on my new one too.
The tearing area is near the cage anyway so its not going to affect airflow. The size of it is insignificant anyway.

Ill keep you updated as to how its lasting.