Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 05-10-2011, 01:42 AM

Default SACHS - Different Parts

When i did my first suspension service on my 2010 EC300 we noticed that my sachs front suspension was different to the norm. The compression stack at the bottom only consisted of +- 8 shims and the piston was also a bigger size than the other 2010's I have seen.

The compression stack nut at the bottom came loose (font know if it might be a good idea to locktight it in the future) and jammped the piston up into the inner tube damaging both.

I ordered a new innertube and compression stack and when it arrived I noticed it was completely different from the ones I have on my bike. They had the 13 shim stack as explained everywhere in forums and manuals. The innertube looks thicker and longer and the thread does not match with the cap on the top of the fork.

I have attached some pictures to show the differences. If someone can shed some light on this it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sachs1s.JPG (77.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg sachs2s.JPG (79.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg sachs3s.JPG (80.1 KB, 60 views)

Old 05-10-2011, 08:16 AM

Contact Les at LT racing. If anyone will know he will, as he has been setting these up since the beginning.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpan View Post

When i did my first suspension service on my 2010 EC300 we noticed that my sachs front suspension was different to the norm. The compression stack at the bottom only consisted of +- 8 shims and the piston was also a bigger size than the other 2010's I have seen.

The compression stack nut at the bottom came loose (font know if it might be a good idea to locktight it in the future) and jammped the piston up into the inner tube damaging both.

I ordered a new innertube and compression stack and when it arrived I noticed it was completely different from the ones I have on my bike. They had the 13 shim stack as explained everywhere in forums and manuals. The innertube looks thicker and longer and the thread does not match with the cap on the top of the fork.

I have attached some pictures to show the differences. If someone can shed some light on this it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
GasGas follows the arcane practice of updating parts without updating part numbers - dirty pool in my mind, but it is what it is.

Basically the compression stack (and all of the other supporting bits) was updated for 2011 ... but the part number wasn't incremented. Hopefully you got two new parts or your legs will be unbalanced and they'll have to fight it out through the front axle.

As far as the caps go, in 2010 they were silver and had a tiny 3mm bleed screw, but in 2011 they are gold and have a 5mm screw ... and apparently a different thread to connect the damper rod
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 05-11-2011, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
your legs will be unbalanced and they'll have to fight it out through the front axle.
I'm not sure that will matter when you consider how common it is to split comp / reb bewteen fork legs.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancp5 View Post
I'm not sure that will matter when you consider how common it is to split comp / reb bewteen fork legs.
Somewhat different scenario, as one leg works and the other is relatively free to move when compression and rebound are split (as in WP Extremes, new KXF250 forks).

Point taken though.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters