Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Taking a machining class: Project Ideas?

Hi guys,
I'm taking an introduction to manual machining class (Milling machine, lathe and drill press) where we get to choose our own project. I had my first class on saturday and it was great. Now there's 42 hours of machining time left. I have a couple ideas for projects so far:
1) Slave Cylinder Guard/Case Saver. I think this would be somewhat difficult to make on a manual mill, geometry dependent. Bonus is it would be made from aluminum which would be fairly easy to machine.
2) Bar mounts with integrated handguard mounts. These would be similar to the Fastway mounts. I think this would be a pretty straight forward part to make.
3) Front axle pull. Used to make pulling the front axle out easier. I'm not quite sure how I'd make one as it's round with a lever sticking off it.
4) Kickstand and kickstand mount. The stock GasGas stand is a PITA as it automatically retracts, and changing the mount location results in broken springs. I'm beginning to think this would be ideal as it incorporates the lathe (for the kickstand) and the mill (for the mount on the frame).
5) I've also considered making a new front or rear axle with integrated axle pull if I do the bar mounts or case saver as I still need a project for the lathe in that case.

I'm limited to either aluminum (T6-6061 or 7075), steel or maybe stainless steel for materials. Designing the parts isn't an issue (I'm in 4th year MecE with access to Pro/E and Solidworks for CAD), but I need to get the drawings to my instructor before next Saturday, with earlier being better than later. Any other ideas on projects, or ideas for these ones? Thanks.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Billet rear disc guard?
For the axle pull, you would need to use a bark buster type mount where it goes into the axle.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
...rear disc guard?
Scotts sells one and it's beautiful. I'd try to make a front disk guard instead. I'm fed up with my c.f. one and noone sells an aluminum one. I guess the Devol one I had on my XR650R wasn't machined but I have seen a Scotts-type for the front on some bikes. I may go looking for a machining class myself.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

How about designing a configurable shift lever? Or you have some good experience fixing up the kicktarters...

jeff
Old 01-21-2007, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys. The only problem I see with machining a shift lever is the spline where it connects to the shift shaft. I thought about a rear disc guard but the Scotts one is already perfect, I can't see any way to improve it.