Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 06-20-2014, 07:06 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Man you rack up the hours! Great write up.

Current. 2015 ec300r estart, 98 RM 125

2013 Ec300r 2011 Ec300e 2009 Husky TE310
1982 XR500 Honda 1981 KE100 Kawasaki
1978 GT80 Yamaha

Old 06-20-2014, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Simmo. Thats still doing some load sharing between the 2 bikes as well, and feeling like I'm not riding as much as I should be.

Its started to get a bit cooler up here this week. Was 15C this morning and my toes were frozen. Don't know how you southerners do it! Hot and humid isn't so bad.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator

Finally bit the bullet and purchased a license for restackor. Its pretty useful for comparing various stacks and seeing how they look graphically vs how you'd imagine they would work. I think its a great tool for even getting an idea of how much variance a few shims here or there makes.

Went and specced up the piston on the shock and went to work on both sides of the piston. Comp stack was changed around a fair bit, few face shims pulled, a couple slipped the other side of the crossover, and then beefed up the hsc back around to where it was originally. The curve doesn't look all that different to stock bar being a bit softer at lower forces. The rebound got similar treatment with the aim being to allow the clicker to run around 22-20 clicks out (was at 16). The rebound adjuster effects bleed in both directions and I found it was at the limit at 16 where going in futher negatively efffected the compression and made it harsh, and coming out further made things rebound too quickly.

If the theory works in practice, the 5.4 rate spring I've installed should add around 3% more resistance across the board. The rebound out further should still run very close to how it was with the 5.2 rate. A little quicker at low forces, good for goat trailing, and more HSR to hold the back end down when really using up the stroke. All this should allow the comp to run about the same which wasn't too bad.

Will test asap and report back. Keen to see how the slightly lower float effects things too.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:15 AM
Super Moderator

Put 100kms on it all today. All singles. Managed to bottom the forks once but I think it was from packing down.

The shock revalve was quite good but I think I have too much spring or too much HSC still. She feels mighty hard when slamming into larger square edges and logs. The initial action is great and working in rocks was a pleasure! Tested with faster and slower rebound settings front and rear and am running a bit on the quick side at the moment which works well when pushing hard but bounces off things a bit too much at mid speeds. I think a click slower on both ends will be near perfect. Even with the complaints, I'll keep the spring on and work with it for some more as its by no means bad.

Countershaft seal has packed it in and is leaking. I cleaned it up and put a new sprocket on before this ride but its definitely in need of a new couple of o-rings at minimum. Chain sliders are showing some wear too.

Lower fuel level seems to have worked. Started and ran quite well, but could use some more grunt down low. I might look at moving the cylinder down a touch next rebuild to bring the curve down.

Good times! Sorry no pics or videos.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:59 AM

You are indeed a busy man!
Old 07-06-2014, 04:02 PM

Default Nedw Needle

Jakobi
I am a new member to the GasGas family. I purchased a brand new 2013 XC250 Race a few months ago and love everything about it. I have been following your threads and have come to appreciate your suggestions and expertise. I have a question for you about jetting, I plan on going with your setting of 40 NEDW #2 172 unless you have other suggestions.
My bike is stock with no mods to the engine. I live in Vancouver Washington ride mainly tight woods, elevation of only about 2000ft. Our weather is rather mild, winters average 45 and summers around 80.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:04 PM

Default NEDW Needle

Jakobi,
I forgot to ask if you have any suggestions on where to purchase the NEDW needle. I seem to be having difficulty in finding anyone that carries them, at least on line???????
Old 07-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

It should get you pretty close straight up, but there will always be variations from bike to bike, rider to rider, fuel to fuel, oils and ratios etc. It will give you a starting point anyway. I'd start in clip #3 and then adjust as required.

As for the needle, its OEM Suzuki Part 13383-37FL0 NEEDLE, JET (NEDW)
Old 07-08-2014, 08:34 PM

[QUOTE=Jakobi;136767]

Went and specced up the piston on the shock and went to work on both sides of the piston. Comp stack was changed around a fair bit, few face shims pulled, a couple slipped the other side of the crossover, and then beefed up the hsc back around to where it was originally.

How difficult was this to do Jakobi? doing the shims that is.

I thought you would have to re-pressurize the nitrogen once you opened it up?
Old 07-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Same as any other shock. Need a hyperdermic needle to depressurize the resevoir, and then some attachments for it to repressurize again after. Requires complete dissassembly of the shock, changes to be made, and put back together, bled, and gassed up afterwards.

Mechanically not a lot involved. Tooling is $$$. Knowing which shims to move where is a science.