Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:17 PM

Exclamation Gear box mess (circlip fitment)

I had a problem on my 06 ec300 and wondered if anyone else had similar problems.The circlip holding the primary gear iii & iv climbed out of its groove whilst under hard acceleration allowing the gear to move on the shaft. this caused it to mis mesh with secondary gears iii and iv causing a rapid dismount and total destruction of these gears also the locking up of the motor. when I ordered the parts to replace these gears and circlips no one in the uk had a secondary gear . (how odd ! you would think the main dealer would have every part for every bike or at least be able to get them). Oh yes they can get them but was told that gas gas would be closed for august holidays. so I would have to wait. I couldnt so I trawled the internet and eventually found one at Pacific gasgas BC (very helpfull) the gear came within a couple of days all the way from the other side of the world.brilliant!!! Rebuilt motor went out tried it great ! rode the bike for about 100 miles went to the same track where the gearbox went first time riding hard in 3 rd gear and guess what ! same thing! took gearbox apart again exactly the same damage ! yet again I couldnt get the gear in the uk. so luckily my brother in laws mother lives in france and he was going to visit her and there just so happened to be a gasgas dealer in her village ,so she went down to them and ordered a gear no problem , delivered in a couple of days ,as aparently the parts dept. doesn't shut for the holidays.great ! but why couldnt they get one in the uk .also it worked out to be 2/3 the cost as it would be from the uk . Anyway all this hassle was caused by the circlip being installed on the shaft the wrong way around supposedly.the burr on the circlip during the punching process of manufacture grabbing onto the gear and climbing out of the recess in the shaft .Twice .So the moral of the story is to always install the circlips on gears with the rounded side facing the gear.!!!!!!

Old 10-28-2008, 08:27 AM

Sorry for your troubles, but thanks for the post.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:11 AM

Good tip learnt the hard way!
Maybe lots of them have been doing this in the UK hence no stock. Dodgy batch?