Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:41 AM

If it ran somewhat like my FJR autoshift, I would be interested to ride one and see what you could make of it.

Honestly, when I bought it, the autoclutch/paddle shift was a bit of a turn off.

After 2 seasons of riding with it, I would have a hard time swapping it for a clutch lever. There are certain instances where if you do a burn out, unintended consequences arise. Namely, with a FJR it does not disengage until too low of an RPM so the engine essentially locks up when the rear tire gets traction and violently stops the motor. This may or may not be an issue with a dirt scooter.

I think the basic concept of the FJR is quite simple. All it is, is an autoclutch with an actuator that maneuvers the gearbox when you touch the paddle. A simple program to do the shifting for you would seem quite easy.

In my mind you would pick a rpm high in the range to induce a shift when throttle is relieved, and when rpm would go below x,000 rpm it would shift it up a notch. To go one further, on an EFI bike you could retard the timing when a shift was called for, or with an electronic power valve you could close it for a split second to allow for the shift.

All should be easily fine tuned by a laptop program I would think. In all seriousness, there should be a way you could fit the actuator with a sensor on the bike and ride for say 1 hour and the shift computer could learn your tendencies, then when you finished that you could fine tune it more. But that would give a baseline.

Ortonville Minnesota

Old 11-16-2012, 09:10 AM

People are afraid of EFI/DI, they will freak at a fully computerized transmission on a dirtbike!

I'm thinking something like a CVT, driven with a conventional autoclutch. The CVT uses a linked belt, like a chain but with a "V" profile with grooves in the sides of the links. The drive and driven "pullys" that vary diameter will have mating grooves and both grooves will trap balls like a Rekluse. As the dia varies with RPM, the belt and balls ride the grooves up and down. No slippage except from the front end autoclutch, and the nature of the transmission would make that simple to set up. Technologilly advanced, yes, but incredably simple at the same time. Once it is debugged it should be cheaper to produce than a conventional transmission.

Yeah, I'm a bit bored this morning and had a big coffee.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:24 AM

The husky auto was a good system, it just suffered from heat and forces on the first gear clutch. The operation and durability of the 2nd, 3rd (and 4th when it had 4 speeds) was acceptable. Replace the 1st gear flyweight with a rekluse style clutch pack, and you're in business. My son's ktm 50 pro has the flyweights type clutch, and they break even with less than 15hp being pushed thru them.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I would personally love a full auto system. Fuel injection and full auto? Sign me up.

To never worry about gear selection, or breaking that selector lever would be very nice.

I have ridden the Husky auto as well. I thought it was weird at the time, but I have become a convert.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 11-16-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm_enduro View Post
The husky auto was a good system, it just suffered from heat and forces on the first gear clutch. The operation and durability of the 2nd, 3rd (and 4th when it had 4 speeds) was acceptable. Replace the 1st gear flyweight with a rekluse style clutch pack, and you're in business. My son's ktm 50 pro has the flyweights type clutch, and they break even with less than 15hp being pushed thru them.
I hope you or someone does the 1st gear clutch conversion. Stick that 430/500AE engine in an '01 up TE400/570 frame, so you have the most developed enduro version of the old single shock frame and you'll be in business.... Brakes, suspension, geometry and ergos to make it rock!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
People are afraid of EFI/DI, they will freak at a fully computerized transmission on a dirtbike!

I'm thinking something like a CVT, driven with a conventional autoclutch. The CVT uses a linked belt, like a chain but with a "V" profile with grooves in the sides of the links. The drive and driven "pullys" that vary diameter will have mating grooves and both grooves will trap balls like a Rekluse. As the dia varies with RPM, the belt and balls ride the grooves up and down. No slippage except from the front end autoclutch, and the nature of the transmission would make that simple to set up. Technologilly advanced, yes, but incredably simple at the same time. Once it is debugged it should be cheaper to produce than a conventional transmission.

Yeah, I'm a bit bored this morning and had a big coffee.
There is a guy here in Nova Scotia that could build that kind of setup. He has been building and supplying to the ATV and sled markets for years.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:47 AM

I'm a manual everything type of guy. I firmly believe that "automatic transmissions are wonderful devices for disabled people". That goes for auto clutches too. If those came stock, you'd never sell me a bike. There's no doubt I'd be in the minority. Manufacturers make the most money building products for the lowest common denominator of society. But don't worry, old guys like me won't be around that much longer anyway.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:18 PM

I wouldn't know where to start on the idea of an auto tranny. The CVT's in 4 wheelers and sleds seem to work very well, but that is an "apples to oranges" comparison. I've owned a Polaris 500 Sportsman ('99) and now a Kaw 650('08)and both worked very well. Perhaps if some adjustment for the shift up/down rpm was possible that would apeal to more buyers. An automatic transmission would be fine w/me but the base line for performance and reliability has been set pretty high by the standard gearbox. An auto clutch option seems to appeal to most. I think we all want the bike to be smooth and tractable and then have something that accelerates like top fuel dragster when the terrain opens up, not very likely with most bikes. I do like the idea of some new thinking on this subject. Jim
Old 11-16-2012, 05:10 PM

I snowmobiled for years. I definitly could see a good CVT like GMP explained.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I used to be a Husky dealer and had several autos I would buy one if available. I still have an AE430 that I haven't run in several years but should.

Thanks
Harold