Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
The way it was explained to me by an expert is that the cases would have to be totally different from what the current engines are like so I don't think you would have options of manual or auto but I don't know, honestly. I think all of the bugs of the old Husky could be fixed. I know it would be more expensive but hopefully no more than adding a Core EXP.
DOn't even think this is something GG or Sherco is contemplating. I am asking for personal rreasons.
You should call your buddy Dave Crain and ask his opinion...he will tell you how much fun it was to design and CNC the parts to keep the old Husky Auto's running...I'm sure he's still got the programs on an old floppy disk somewhere...He and my Pops did say that when the bikes ran, they were awesome to ride!

Old 11-18-2012, 09:17 PM

Back in the day my father bought a 360 husky auto the first year they came out. He loved that bike.I rode it in one enduro, and must say I was a believer after that. It did take a different ridding style, it was just gas and brake all day, pretty cool! I've been hoping to find one of those old huskys in decent shape and priced that I could afford, but no luck yet. So I personly would be interested in a "new" version of an automatic.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangezuk View Post
You should call your buddy Dave Crain and ask his opinion...he will tell you how much fun it was to design and CNC the parts to keep the old Husky Auto's running...I'm sure he's still got the programs on an old floppy disk somewhere...He and my Pops did say that when the bikes ran, they were awesome to ride!
Careful. Don't put "your buddy Dave Crain" in print too often! I might be out of business if that gets around!
Just kidding. Crain and I have the kind of sense of humor. It's called "Smarta$$!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 AM

Those mobilty scooter you see people crusing around in are all fully auto. They have a nice comfortable seating postion as well.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm_enduro View Post
back then we didn't have F/R disk brakes. Funny, I've often wondered about getting ahold of an old AE430 (if I could find one with unbroken cases) and trying to retrofit a modern autoclutch (likely from 80cc) in place of the fragile first gear clutch pack, and then put on modern forks and brakes.
This is a rather timely thread, as I have just completed a 1986 Husky 430AE restoration with modern disc brakes on both ends and took it for it's first ride yesterday. I will need to iron out a few small details through testing, but everything is working and it brings back a lot of good memories. I raced this bike back it the day for two full years, there is only one way to ride it -aggressively and it made me a better rider.

I fully intend on racing the Auto next season at select races to see how the 26 year old technology stacks up against todays.

Funny thing with the Husky Auto when you bought one it tends to be for life, either because it was so unique you can't bare to part with it -even if it no longer runs OR you can't sell it because nobody in there right mind wants it. In 1986 in Ontario I knew of 4 riders on the 430AE, to this day three of them are still owned by the original owners and the 4th was easy to track down.

If you want specific Husky Auto info there are numerous threads over on the oppropriate Forum.

I have been exclusively racing Husky's since 1984 (probably 200+ races) but if any manufacturer came out with a true AUTO now I wouldn't hesitate to jump ship and scoop one up at any price.

One last thing, any new system needs to be stickly mechanical and gear selection determined by rear wheel speed, it worked back in the day and it worked for me yesterday as well. No need to complicate it with electronics or auto/manual settings, just focus on hard core competition. Just my opinion.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palito View Post
This is a rather timely thread, as I have just completed a 1986 Husky 430AE restoration with modern disc brakes on both ends and took it for it's first ride yesterday. I will need to iron out a few small details through testing, but everything is working and it brings back a lot of good memories. I raced this bike back it the day for two full years, there is only one way to ride it -aggressively and it made me a better rider.

I fully intend on racing the Auto next season at select races to see how the 26 year old technology stacks up against todays.

Funny thing with the Husky Auto when you bought one it tends to be for life, either because it was so unique you can't bare to part with it -even if it no longer runs OR you can't sell it because nobody in there right mind wants it. In 1986 in Ontario I knew of 4 riders on the 430AE, to this day three of them are still owned by the original owners and the 4th was easy to track down.

If you want specific Husky Auto info there are numerous threads over on the oppropriate Forum.

I have been exclusively racing Husky's since 1984 (probably 200+ races) but if any manufacturer came out with a true AUTO now I wouldn't hesitate to jump ship and scoop one up at any price.

One last thing, any new system needs to be stickly mechanical and gear selection determined by rear wheel speed, it worked back in the day and it worked for me yesterday as well. No need to complicate it with electronics or auto/manual settings, just focus on hard core competition. Just my opinion.
Best of luck to you with that project, that should be a fun bike. I am suprised that there are enough clutch hubs and friction/weights available to keep the bikes running. Just curious, what wheels did you end up using? Did you replace the front fork with something more modern (and bigger)?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palito View Post

Hmmmm.... I seem to remember a certain Paul who rode an auto back in the day..pretty quickly I might add... Congrats on the restore...

Ed..
Old 11-20-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm_enduro View Post
Best of luck to you with that project, that should be a fun bike. I am suprised that there are enough clutch hubs and friction/weights available to keep the bikes running. Just curious, what wheels did you end up using? Did you replace the front fork with something more modern (and bigger)?
I was able to source several NOS first gear hub/shoe kits and springs, could never have done it without the internet sellers of vintage parts, it's really amazing what is still out there in old part$.

I just happened to have a 1998 Husky WXE 250 lying around that became the doner for forks, wheels and brakes. Forks are conventional(not USD)Magnum 50mm Zokes, bolted on with no mods at all. Brakes haven't changed since '98, exactly the same Brembo callipers as my '09 WR300. I am still using the stock '86 swing arm with the '98 wheel bushed down and machined narrower. The rear brake holder was also machined down thinner to fit. Also rear brakes are left hand operated, something I wanted to do back in 1986. This scoot really is unique, you just have to be a little hard core to appriciate it.

TM enduro, you are correct that the first gear clutch is the only weak point of the system. I have been thinking of some how adapting a clutch on crank like on the BMW/Husky TXC449 with an auto clutch installed if they even make an auto clutch for that bike?

Fasteddy, thanks for calling me out, I've been lurking here long enough.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:31 AM

palito, post a pic when you get a chance. that sounds like a sweet ride.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:12 AM

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=465170

This sounds unreal! Ha!

Brand new in crate, 87 430 OR auto Husky?!?
Ortonville Minnesota