Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peb View Post
those mobilty scooter you see people crusing around in are all fully auto. They have a nice comfortable seating postion as well.
lol!!!!!!!!

Old 11-20-2012, 09:18 AM

When I worked for the TUV we tested a bunch of the Rascal scooters for product safety. Had a blast racing them in the small warehouse, made a course through boxes. One four wheeler type was pretty fast for what it was, and had a tiller arm for steering. You could yank on that arm and get it up on two wheels around turns!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
When I worked for the TUV we tested a bunch of the Rascal scooters for product safety. Had a blast racing them in the small warehouse, made a course through boxes. One four wheeler type was pretty fast for what it was, and had a tiller arm for steering. You could yank on that arm and get it up on two wheels around turns!
Sometimes, Glenn, I think you have too much free time!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:24 AM

Part of the testing involved riding them all around, over curbs, etc. and trying to make them crash. We just expanded on that a little. Clay, to put this in perspective it was a German run office, and we could drink beer as long as we got our work done and did not get hammered.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
People are afraid of EFI/DI, they will freak at a fully computerized transmission on a dirtbike!

I'm thinking something like a CVT, driven with a conventional autoclutch. The CVT uses a linked belt, like a chain but with a "V" profile with grooves in the sides of the links. The drive and driven "pullys" that vary diameter will have mating grooves and both grooves will trap balls like a Rekluse. As the dia varies with RPM, the belt and balls ride the grooves up and down. No slippage except from the front end autoclutch, and the nature of the transmission would make that simple to set up. Technologilly advanced, yes, but incredably simple at the same time. Once it is debugged it should be cheaper to produce than a conventional transmission.

Yeah, I'm a bit bored this morning and had a big coffee.
I've been thinking about this since having a chance to ride a Rokon this past spring during a visit to Oz. Also had a long conversation with 'Palito', who rode the Husky autos successfully back in the day.
I've also used Rekluse auto clutches on 2 bikes and really like them.

Then, I rode a Zero electric bike this summer and realized that's the future; twist and go & no transmission to mess with. Granted it may need some sort of a clutch override to help hoist the front up over stuff.

In the mean time, if GG sold a version of the XC's with a CVT like GMP describes, I'd probably be all over it.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:54 AM

The technology exists, it just has to be downsized and packaged in an MC engine case. Someone needs the development $$ to take the leap in exploring this.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

With today's technological advantages, it would probably be quite simple to revamp/correct the quirks of the old Husky system. As I recall, they were a bit heavier than the non auto bikes. Perhaps Palito can weigh his and I will weigh my 430XC for comparison.

If the difference is small, then I don't think there is an argument there. My 250 & 300 GG are heavier than other brands that my riding buddies have. I don't feel the difference and love my older models.

Throw the reliability factor out, concede that issue resolved. Then the issue will become maintenance costs. That is the biggest gripe I hear from my 4st buddies. The additional costs involved in top end rebuilds has caused several to go back to a 2st. If the cost to maintain the "Auto" system is similarly more, then I don't see the model being a mainstay. The reason that the 4st market has taken hold [in spite of increased costs] is because of the industry [Mfg's] limiting the choice, as well as promotion/sanctioning such as the AMA SX/MX series/market. There are many behind the scenes reasons for this, but that is another topic to discuss elsewhere.

I think the Rekluse addresses the niche very well, it is a fairly expensive mod [for me anyway] that doesn't seem to increase maintenance costs. My friends that have them refer to their bikes as cheater bikes. Several have won the classes since switching to them.

There will always be the love it/hate it debate ie;2st/4st debate, when it comes to personal preference. There will probably be sufficient interest to sustain a small market share and a company that already lives within those confines.

just my .02!
Old 11-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

For me I have a auto-clutch and I would not trade it for how well it works in tight ugly single track.
But if I could have my dream bike I would bypass just an auto tranny. It would be a auto DCT with a thumb shifter on each side of the bars, direct injected two stroke in the 300/350 range that could go 70 mi. on 2.5 gallon tank and weigh 260 lbs. with fuel and cost less than $10.5k.

Oh NO. I think I have chubby forming; I gota go.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:07 AM

The problem with the Husky was the clutch design. If you just changed that to a modern multi plate design it would end up like an automotive auto trans and be huge and complicated. The CVT is the future is cars, should be in auto bikes as well. My description is very basic and not exactly what it could be like but you get the idea. You could also incorporate a manual clutch lever, just like on a core EXP now, to the front end auto clutch. This would allow a burst of power for wheelies, obstacles, etc. The CVT is tuned to always be at the correct ratio for vehicle/engine speed reative to the engines power curve. Combine a tunable version of this (in a cassette design) with a primary auto clutch, in addition to external gearing changes, and the possibilities are endless.

As far as current auto clutches, I think the next design challenge should be a means to lock the clutch in a full manual mode. This would solve the backwards freewheel down a hill fear and allow bump starting.