Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:18 PM

Default MC250 - tire recommendations?

My love affair with my '05 MC250 continues. However, following its fifth ride, a nice long day at Stoddard Wells, I've found that my stock Michelins are wearing quickly.

I want a knobby with better durability than the original Michelins, so what do you recommend?

Old 05-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Maxxis!
They wear like iron and still hook up.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:34 PM

Cool, a buddy of mine just mentioned them as well. Any specific model and size that you use on your MC?
Old 05-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Michelin has an updated michelin tire out - XC version of tires. e.g. "S-12 XC". Updated compound for greater longevity and traction, etc. Has anyone tried these?

Thanks,
jeff
Old 05-03-2010, 10:09 AM

Thumbs up

My '03 ec250 came with the S12 xc's front and rear. I rode in the sand and rocks quite a bit this winter, and they hooked up great. They didn't seem to hook up as well on the wet logs at the GG meet and greet tho. But they are good in the mud and loose dirt, and packed damp dirt at our local trails here in Cashmere, Wa. I have noticed a couple of knobs have chunked. But I rode them thru a ton of very sharp basalt rock saturday after saturday.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 05-03-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Maxxis!
They wear like iron and still hook up.
My kid has 1yr on his Maxxcross IT 110/100/18 and it still looks great compared to my almost bald M12.
I'm picking up one for myself tomorrow. We don't normally race though he did just finish the Desert 100 which is more rock than sand (and it still looks good).
They make a slightly stiffer Desert IT too for a couple $$ more.
I used to be a Michelin fan also but even if they did change the compound back to something closer to what it used to be it's "too little, too late" for me. If they want me back they can give me a couple freebies to make up for the last couple of junk ones that I bought.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 05-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostby View Post
I used to be a Michelin fan also but even if they did change the compound back to something closer to what it used to be it's "too little, too late" for me. If they want me back they can give me a couple freebies to make up for the last couple of junk ones that I bought.
I had a brand new front S12 chunk all the side knobs after one ride.
The store I bought it from said, " oh well".
Have not bought another one since then.
They used to be good when they were made in France.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:25 PM

got a michy out front, s12 xc. all the knobbies are broken off the outside. but if you want a rear that has good bite, and lasts for ever take a peek at gbc Dirt sharks. i have a rear, been over logs and rocks, still holding strong, no broken knobbies, and they are dirt cheap. id like to get ahold of a front dirt shark and see what it does. so when the s12 is so bad that it wont grab anymore i'll find a dirtshark. or a maxxis IS or IT. probably the IS.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:29 PM

The Maxxis IT is a tough tire, would work well down there in So.Cal. Mine is holding tough after a more miles than I can count. I also used a MT21......yes I know it is a DOT tire, but tough as nails in the rocky dry tundera of So.Cal.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals