Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:13 AM

Default taming it down

ok i didnt know weather this should go in jetting or not, but a friend of mine is looking at buying a bike for woods riding. right now we're looking at kx100's, kx 125's and maybe a gasgas 125 or 200. i told her i'd help her get her bike set up for her, one of those things being making the bike usable for a beginner. when i bought my bike (my first btw) it had g2 throttle cams with it, which have been a life saver on more than one occasion, so im thinking a set of those would be good. im also thinkin that going for lower that stock gearing may be a good idea too. is there any other things we can do to make the bikes easier to ride? it'll be alot of low rpm running as she first starts out so what would we have to do to the jetting so that it wont stall at low rpm but wont throw her on her back at the same time? any other suggestions? shes about 5'7" or so and about 130ish?lbs. and most of the riding will be in more tight technical woods.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:19 AM

Bigger power valve cover, Gnarly pipe, and a looser power valve spring.
And go a bit rich with jetting. Oh and if you have a bit too much money a smaller carburetor adds low rpm power and cuts off from the top.
That's pretty much all I think
Old 06-04-2010, 01:38 PM

hmmm..... i considered finding a smaller carb, but as far as the ec200 goes i dont know what size they come with. its either a 36 or a 38mm, if its a 38 id go down to a 36. the kx100 has a 28mm, but i dont know what brand. hmmmm thats a heck of an idea. thanks much!
Old 06-05-2010, 04:36 PM

The easiest, lowest cost way to tame a a small bore 2T is put a flat washer between the pipe and the cylinder that restricts the exhaust.

I have done it for my sons KX65. It makes amazingly linear power, stills revs to the moon and makes decent top end. It takes away the hit. He rides very gnarly technical trails. When he is ready, I will install a slightly bigger washer which gives it a slight hit.

I also did it on the KX100 when my wife was riding it. It did the same thing - smooth out the power delivery.

Measure the inside of your cylinder and pipe, then go down the hardware store. For a few dollars you can get a few different sized washers to try out.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:20 PM

hmmm never heard of that one.... that kindof like changing the powervalve springs on a ktm, only a little more crude?
Old 06-12-2010, 06:40 AM

or just look for a KDX200. Possibly the most beginner friendly 2 stroke on the planet.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:07 AM

got a line on a good kx100 that we can get for a dang good price, so were focused down to that. is there any other difference between a kx 85 and a kx 100 besides bigger bore and stroke? because i'd like to find her a g2 throttle cam set, but they dont list the 100. or a ktm 105 for that matter. i thought that rather strange.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Site Sponsor

isn't kx100 16/19 wheels? you would think you'd want a full size frame/wheelset....

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 06-12-2010, 02:58 PM

Plus an 85 has such a small bore that it will only make power up top. That means more frequent rebuilds. KX 100 is not a bad beginner bike, as long as she understands that she will out grow it. A KX100 does not need a throttle cam. Do the washer mod that someone else mentioned and be done with it.

Or not.

There are a ton of chicks that learned and still race unmodded KX100s. There is a bigger accessory tank, if needed.

If the price is that good. Buy it and ride it. No mods, no tuning, nothing. Ride it.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
isn't kx100 16/19 wheels? you would think you'd want a full size frame/wheelset....
Actually, KX100s and KTM 105s are pretty popular chick bikes. The smaller frame/wheels are only a disadvantage when hopping logs or rocks. Otherwise the smaller size/lighter weight is easier to for folks with smaller statures to ride.

There are a couple of adult KX100 riders in my enduro series. Other than the small gas tank (they are too cheap to get the bigger tank), they both really like them.