Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:11 AM

Default Stiffening the rear fender with a brace? (05 EC250)

I'm wondering if anyone has a solution to fix the "floppiness" of the rear fender an 05 EC250. The previous owner put a regular old plain Gas Gas rear mx style fender.

But now I would like to add a rear tail/brake light kit. I plan to use one of the many offered from Polisport, Acerbis or Tusk. My fear is already floppy and I suspect the added weight of the light/plate holder assembly will only make it worse. Never mind the added weight of mud etc.

I found an old thread talking about an rear fender brace made by Acerbis, but I do not think that part is made any longer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:46 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

05 bikes came with a brace, see if you can find someone that has one laying around.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:10 PM

Thank you. I'll post it up in the wtb section of the forum. Among my other parts I'm looking for. Ha. I had no idea these had a bracerom the factory.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has a solution to fix the "floppiness" of the rear fender an 05 EC250. The previous owner put a regular old plain Gas Gas rear mx style fender.

But now I would like to add a rear tail/brake light kit. I plan to use one of the many offered from Polisport, Acerbis or Tusk. My fear is already floppy and I suspect the added weight of the light/plate holder assembly will only make it worse. Never mind the added weight of mud etc.

I found an old thread talking about an rear fender brace made by Acerbis, but I do not think that part is made any longer.

Any help would be appreciated.
Trim an old fender to stack underneath it. It should be rigid enough to support the taillight & still have some flex. The subframe extensions concern me, as a side impact could damage the subframe, and fender. I believe one our local GG riders does this to his 300.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:20 PM

I read that in this post http://gasgasrider.org/forum/showthr...=floppy+fender as well.

That's why I liked the idea of the Acerbis support.

Sounds the old rear fender would work too if I hacked one up.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:48 PM

That is a good solution and what I used on my '00 and '03. The alloy "loop" support that came with some bikes is a bad idea, as it puts a lot of force on the subframe and causes it to be easily bent in a crash that involves the rear fender. No such problems with the plastic brace.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:15 PM

I'm having no luck locating one of these. Anyone with any leads...it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:51 AM

I thought they were discontinued a few years ago, but some old stock might be around. You could make one easily from some Nylon 66 stock. The Acerbis part is thin with stiffening ribs molded in, so you would have to go with thicker stock, say .25". A lot stronger than an old fender.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I just broke my alum. loop and bought one off a friend. I couldn't find that Acerbis one either. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:21 PM

Maybe I'll try cutting up some delrin I have at the house. It's an old set of skid plates from a former atv I owned.