Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > GasGas Member Polls

GasGas Member Polls Find out what everyone thinks about it!

Old 04-24-2008, 06:36 AM

Default Diffference between 300ec 2001 & newer models

I need some advice on purchasing a new Gasgas. I have 2001 300ec that I really enjoy riding , but am concerned about the age and relliability. I have never ridden a newer model Gasgas and I wondering what the differences are. I get conflicting theories about the Gasgas relliability and wonder if anyone could shed some light on the subject?

Old 04-24-2008, 07:10 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Seems to me that there are a lot of folks riding older GasGas' and reliability is not an issue.

I think the new bikes are always evolving and getting bettter, look newer and are just down right sexy.

I know I didn't answer your question but it's really up to what you "feel" like doing and what your wallet can support.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:46 AM

Thanks for responding so quickly. But the information I am looking for is like the climbing ability , the suspension, power curve and so on. At the moment my 2001 model is the best bike I have ever ridden and I am woundering if the newer models will be as good as or better.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:51 AM

I own both an '01 XC300 and an '03 EC300. The bikes are very similar despite minor changes between the two models. The '01 has over twice as many hours as the '03, thus a laundry-list of parts have been replaced. I've also owned a '98 EC250 which I rode and raced for over 5 years.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:59 PM

The biggest change is in 2005 the frame geometry was changed. The 05 and newer Gassers turn better yet are still super stable. The rear shock has high speed compression damping adjustment (started in 03? I think). There hasn't been too many changes to the engine since 01. The only change I can think of is the dual stage ignition.

For reliability, GasGas is on par with Honda XRs. I have an 01 EC200 with well over 1000 hours on the top end and it still runs just fine. Compression has dropped a little but it's still a great little bike. I have had a few issues with the frame and subframe though. These do have a fatigue limit and unfortunately they're starting to show it. I broke off both footpegs last season (on the same day, no less) and the subframe has needed some repairs (broken off tabs, cracks, etc). Other than that the bike is rock solid reliable.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:20 AM

Thanks for the advice guys! I have just taken delivery of a very new 2007 300EC GasGas. I still have the 2001 300ec and finding it difficult to advertise and sell it. Is this a gasgas problem, where once you buy one you like it so much that you buy another and still keep the old.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:15 PM

malcom: i did the same thing as you last spring! i had an 01 ec 300 that like speedy's had over 1000 hr's on the engine before i did a complete top and bottom rebuild. that said i heard of a low hr 04 300,so i bought that and started to ride it. if you didn't look down at the plastic, it was hard to tell the difference in the bikes! they are both great! i sold the 01 to a friend and i'm still lovin' my 04. these bikes are damn fine machines.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:41 AM

I kept my 2000 EC300 after getting newer bikes for several reasons.

1. Nothing like having plenty of spare parts or a spare bike for friends.
2. It's still a great bike
3. GasGas resale sucks!
4. I live is California and it's green sticker legal for year 'round riding.

The subframe on my 2000 EC300 was cracked in several locations during the first few months of ownership. My friend that welds for a living, fixed as good as he could. Eventually, I got a BBR '98KX250 subframe for $50. I had to make new seat tab mounts. They look like crap, but are not seen unless the seat is off. It also required a little trim to the side number plates in the grab handle area.

I busted a footpeg mount and the other was cracked nearly 85% through. It's not uncommon on KX's either.

I like you, purchsed a new bike so that I would have a reliable bike. However, I fully expect to be welding on this bike as well once it starts getting more fatigue. At the rate I'm riding these days, I have a few years.

2005 GasGas EC300 (Ohlins front and rear)
2007 Yamaha FZ1
2003 Pampera 280(hers)
Old 09-12-2008, 06:31 PM

Last weekend I test rode one of GoFasters 2009 300's. WOW! did that thing
have instant power! Totally different from my 04 DE300.
I also rode the 2009 250 and it was much smoother and would by my pick
for a next bike.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:48 AM

Default The 07 gas Gas 300ec

Well the month's have passed and I must say I am getting ot like the 07 model more and more. When I first rode it I was dissapointed , as it seemed stiffer and slower than the 2001ec model. The 2001 model has the MX fly wheel on it which makes it feel quick. I eventually got used to the new bike and it climbs like a mountain goat. The only thing is that I seem to get bad arm pump and my right schoulder seems to tire after a while this never happend on the 2001 model. Iam hitting the gym to see if this makes adiffrenc and only time will tell. I have changed the jetting and needle which make a huge diffrence and now power is smooth and controlled. Man I love my GasGas its the be4st bike I have owned.