Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 09-08-2008, 08:09 AM

Default Downshifting problem

Hi all,
It's been awhile since my '05 450 has given me any problems and this one may be my fault.
The bike is set up with a Rekluse clutch, the upshifting is a little notchy but OK, the downshifting is horrible, especially from 2nd to 1st. Early in the season it would take an extra stab or two to get into the next lowest gear, but now it takes 10 stabs to downshift. When downshifting to 1st, I could always tell when it made the shift because the lever would stop in the middle, but now it moves down through it's range as if it coming from a higher gear.
For the last two years, the clutch has always made a clunk when shifting to first at a dead stop and made a slight lurch forward, but it will start in gear(barely). In the Rekluse manual it stresses the importance of pad/plate clearance which I've checked numerous times and it's always been i spec. They say that is the main reason for clutch drag. I've always left it the way it was because it was in spec.
Before my ride this past weekend, I decided to change the engagement point which I've always had set at the lowest engagement point, I then set it to it's highest engagement point. When I took it up the road for a test ride it shifted to 1st from a dead stop no problem, no lurch, just a nice click, the upshifts still felt notchy but good and the downshifts slightly better. I figured I would go on this ride and see what happens, maybe as it warmed up it would get better.
It wasn't any better. Still 10 or so stabs to downshift.
What are your thoughts on this? Would the slight drag from the clutch after two years have an affect on the shifter mechanism or the gears themselves? If it's the shifter mechanism, do you need to split the cases on a 450 to get to it?

P.S. Thought this was interesting, met up with 9 other riders, 8 of them I've never ridden with before, most on KTM's. Turned out I was the second fastest rider there, even with the shifting problem(luckily it was slow technical single track). The bike drew lots of attention and a couple of guys on older bikes who were looking to upgrade, were now considering a Gasser. None of them have seen a Gasser 4 stroke before. Hope my exposure helped.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

The scorpion spring on every 05 i sold had to be changed as they were weak causing the problem you have.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:48 PM

Thank You very much Nick.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:04 AM

Thank goodness, so I changed the spring which my dealer had in stock and went for a ride yesterday evening. It shifts perfectly now, even better than when it was new, wish I would have known about that spring when I first got the bike. My confidence is back up and I feel better about other people riding the bike.
Thanks again Nick...
Old 09-20-2008, 12:52 AM

I wonder if this Scorpion Spring replacement relates to my '05 fse too? Shifting from 2nd down to 1st is notchy and sometimes only goes into nuetral. I've had this problem since day one. It has got me into trouble more than once.
Nick , if the Scorpion spring will remedy my shift problem, I'll order one from U. Thanks, Bob
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 09-21-2008, 08:08 PM

It sounds like it will fix your problem to. Just take out your clutch basket and it's down to the left, you can't miss it and it's easy to change.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:55 PM

Thanks. I'll give Nick a call. Bob.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 09-25-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
The scorpion spring on every 05 i sold had to be changed as they were weak causing the problem you have.
Does this apply to the 2-strokes as well?My 05' DE300 stuck in first gear for a while sunday,then started shifting fine again.Pulling it apart tonight & will post what I find.It has been getting more notchy with time,just bled new clutch fluid in and adjusted play so thats out of the equation.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I've never had that problem other than 05 FSE450.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:42 PM

Smile

Motorhead it is the same for the 2smokes. What happened on your bike is a tiny metal shaving in your oil caused enough drag on the scorpion gear that the weak spring could not overcome it and pull the gear back into place. Very tiny burrs on the scorpion gear can cause the same problem as well. Problems don't show up until normal wear on the gearbox and clutch cause contamination of the oil and thereby extra drag on the scorpion gear. When you have it apart take the time to smooth the edges of the scorpion gear even if they already feel smooth.