Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:54 AM

Default GasGas EC250

Well I have mate who is interested in an EC250 2 smoker.. Who has a current one and how does it compare to a Husky WR250.. He's really keen, It's hard to find someone here to preride one first or even find someone who owns one in Australia...

"It's Nature that Brings out the Madness"
GasGas FSR450 07'

Old 05-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

You're just in time. I have one of each. '08 EC 250, '09 WR 250.

The Gasser is easier to ride and the engine feels smoother. The Husky still needs some jetting sorted. I'm sure it's doable, but the bike is only a few weeks old, and it has a Mikuni carb on it, which is slightly different to work with. Suspension on both are quality, in fact, the exact same, though it takes a while of pounding them to break them in suspension wise.

The Husky is tall, and feels it. Advantage in deep ruts. Disadvantage if you can't touch the ground. It's no problem for me at 5'10". Overall, I prefer the handling of the Gas Gas because it just goes where you point it without any effort. The Husky handles great, and I wouldn't even notice had I not jumped off of the Gas Gas, but the Gas Gas is slightly better (perhaps the tires on the Husky just stink, Michelin enduro comp III).
Brakes: The Husky brakes are floating disks. The rear is solid (at least in U.S. trim). The front works great, the rear... Ugh. It's strong, but it's digital, on or off. I'm not a fan. The Husky is loud. It sounds like a 2 stroke MXer from the 1990's. The Gas Gas is super quiet with the stock silencer. The brakes on the Gas Gas are good too, no issues at all.

I don't think you could go wrong with either bike. Overall, riding the bike I give a slight advantage to the Gas Gas. Working on the bike, I give an advantage to the Husqvarna.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs