Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:03 AM

Default How is my piston?

I'm going through my gasser (2012 EC300) piece by piece to get it ready for next season. I took a peek inside the exhaust port last night and took some pics of the piston and cylinder. I'm not very familiar with how everything should look and what is ok so I figured I would ask you all on here about it. From what I have read it looks like I'm getting some blow by. The piston feels smooth to the touch on the exhaust port side.

Piston

Is that scoring?
Cylinder

I don't know how many hours are on the piston as I bought the bike used. I put about 30 on it since I got it. I should also add the bike has been running fine as far as I can tell, I rode it 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for any advice on next steps here, new piston, new rings, new whatever else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by GLantern; 12-26-2014 at 09:16 AM.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLantern View Post
I'm going through my gasser (2012 EC300) piece by piece to get it ready for next season. I took a peek inside the exhaust port last night and took some pics of the piston and cylinder. I'm not very familiar with how everything should look and what is ok so I figured I would ask you all on here about it. From what I have read it looks like I'm getting some blow by. The piston feels smooth to the touch on the exhaust port side.

Piston

Is that scoring?
Cylinder

I don't know how many hours are on the piston as I bought the bike used. I put about 30 on it since I got it. I should also add the bike has been running fine as far as I can tell, I rode it 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for any advice on next steps here, new piston, new rings, new whatever else?

Besides that "red stuff" on the piston which looks like "rust" but I doudt it is, and exhaust power valve looks pretty clean.

What your seeing in the cylinder is the "cross hatch" and that looks pretty darn good = very little wear!

If it was mine I'd ride it! Pull a compression test and go from there! Some of these guys are getting a ton of hours out of a 300 topend, I think 70-100 + hours on a rec rider topend is pretty good, some more get more hours depending on how the bike has been cared for.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 12-26-2014, 02:16 PM

I can only think that red stuff is some metal element contained in your 2 stroke oil that acts as a lubricant? Never seen anything that looks like that before!

Cylinder looks new!
2006 EC300 Enduro - Ignitech CDI - 38/NECW#2/165 FMF gnarly, FMF shorty, .50 front 5.7 rear

2016 RM-Z450
Old 12-26-2014, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Agree with all above. Everything looks good, with exception to the odd red coating which I imagine would be oil related based what else can be seen. What brand oil?
Old 12-26-2014, 02:37 PM

Default How is my piston?

That makes me feel a lot better thanks guys. Being newer to 2 strokes it's always a what the heck is this moment? I run betray 2 stroke synthetic h1r racing ester oil
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/b...FcXm7AodgH8A9g

I just picked up a case of amsoil interceptor that I'll be running this season.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:00 AM

I'd definitely look at a oil with a higher flashpoint, and perhaps slightly richer jetting. It doesn't look like there is any blow by on your rings (from excessive wear) but due to the way a 2 stroke works those red but a will get sucked back in to the bore and between the piston and bore, or worse into the crank bearings.

Do you know your jetting?
What oil ratio are you using?
Does the bike ever run hit at all?

When I look at my piston through the bore it is wet with 2 stroke (a good thing), that looks dryto me.
2006 EC300 Enduro - Ignitech CDI - 38/NECW#2/165 FMF gnarly, FMF shorty, .50 front 5.7 rear

2016 RM-Z450
Old 12-27-2014, 06:34 AM

I never touched the jetting on the bike, it ran pretty well except in the cold down low. I just picked up a jd jet kit for a Christmas gift and will be installing that before I take the bike out next.

My ratio is 50 to 1.

As for running hot I never had the bike boil over but the last time I rode it I felt the temperature read out was hovering a bit higher then normal.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:38 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

You will like the Interceptor, ive been using it for years.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2014, 08:05 AM

I have always been an amsoil fan I'm not sure why I hadn't switched sooner. I'm glad to hear someone else has a good experience with it.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:14 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

ive put 50hrs from new running belray h1r and my piston/ports do not look like that.no red residue and everything is oily,in fact the entire inside of pipe from piston to muffler tip is oily!h1r has one of the highest flashpoints,ie it doesn't burn easily!im running 40:1 as per packet recommendations.id say if that's oil residue its from the previous owner and whatever oil they used not h1r unless youre running a lot hotter/leaner than me.what does your plug look like?what is your local fuel grade/octane/ethanol?not running well in the cold may suggest lean mixture.can you get a pic of the piston dome,with piston fully down?