Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:51 AM

if the bolt dosent break the frame bracket will pore design. if you ride fast and hard offroad you better take your stand off. its very dangerous

Old 05-09-2013, 07:53 AM

I ride fast and hard everytime I ride! No way am I taking my stand off, I've damaged my frame mount and it's a quick easy mig job and good as new. Nothing difficult about it but I watch my buddies all the time pissed when they have to lay there bikes down in a pile of rocks or a break down and a tree know where to be found! Ill keep mine thanks
Old 05-09-2013, 10:31 AM

The '12 frame bracket is very stout, so the bolt is stil the issue.

No shortage of nature's stands here. For enduros that have gas stops in open areas, I'll through my stand in the drink cooler with just the bolt for quick attachment if needed, but the triangle option is much better for this.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Site Sponsor

I like the stand and I like that it retracts on its own. If you ditch the cheap washer that goes behind the stand for a hardened one that doesn't get a groove squished in it. And use a good hardened bolt with red locktite on the bolt, the stand seems to work flawlessly.
I do this with every bike I sale before it leaves the place. Haven't had any complaints yet. I also catch the stand with my foot when I lift the bike up so the stand doesn't fly up on its own.
Just got to remember the stand is for holding the bike up, not the rider and the bike. I think if all I did was race I could see some guys removing it. But it is just way to handy for normal trail riding.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Side stands have been nothing but a PIA for 13 years. First thing that comes off. If you absolutely need a stand for some reason(no trees, fences, etc.) there are a lot of small triangle stands that work good. Fit in a pack easy too.
None of my many Husqvarna sidestands have EVER messed with me! Interesting................... None of my older Gassers have either....
Old 05-10-2013, 12:54 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

The problem with the 12/13 sidestand isn't the bolt beeing bad quality. What happens is that dirt gets in between the bolt head and the sidestand, making the bolt grip to the stand when you put it out. This tightens the bolt 90 degrees. When you retract the stand, the bolt loosens again, allowing for more dirt to pack up. Eventually the bolt will snap.

What I did was to grind down the stand a bit, making the bushing raise up a bit and giving better clearance between bolt head and side stand.
Any dirt packing up between the frame and stand will also add to the friction between bolt head and stand.

[edit] When I think about this now and putting it to words, my fix might only be a temporary one. Adding more clearance might just make room for bigger dirt bits, and then the problem is back...

Last edited by bergerhag; 05-10-2013 at 01:00 AM. Reason: thinking.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:06 AM

The older GG steel stands were worse! The stand would get loose and/or flop around and chew on the swingarm! This was made worse yet by falling on the left side and slightly tweaking the stand/mount/bolt, or a broken/not used rubber strap, which was a PIA and didn't last. On my first GG, an '00 XC250, spring let go during an enduro and I had to remove stand and put in my camelback. Dangerous is right, ever go through whoops with a stand hanging down? Glad it was soft sand. It never went back on. Just a PIA in general. In MX stands have never been allowed, I'm surprised they are in harescrambles. If I have to lay my bike down fast in an emergency to help someone, chances are I don't care about the bike at that point. Just flip the gas off and it starts right up anyway.