Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 05-30-2019, 04:47 PM

Default Rekluse Core EXP 3.0 impressions on EC 300 2011

Hi every GasGas fans out there, this is a very resourceful forum!

I haven't been able to find a recent topic on this subject so I'm creating a new one. I'm sorry if this a very well debated topic here.

I've just installed an Rekluse Core EXP 3.0 on my Gas Gas EC 300 2 strokes, 2011 model. I'm still tunning it, only one ride so far and I have some mixed first impressions about it.

Just to provide some background info, I have to say that I'm very happy with my bike even without an electric start and the OEM clutch. I rode it a lot for the past years without a problem except the annoying clutch squeal in really tight trails where you have to abuse of the clutch. I'm using Motorex Gear Oil 10w30 and Putoline mineral oil on the clutch actuator mechanism but I cannot say I'm fully satisfied with OEM clutch performance on first and second gear gnarly woody trails. Well, about the Rekluse, it was like an opportunity deal to try this "new technology" that I was looking forward to see how it would work for me.

So, everything is all set as manual recommends. I was first very surprise with the very low RPM engagement but soon enough I hit the first trail I noticed some things that I would like to share with you:

1. much earlier clutch squeal (I'm using Motorex 10w30 gear oil - full synth). And by that I mean the squeal appears sooner, even with less of abuse of the clutch. Well, in fact I wasn't using the clutch at all because I leave it to Rekluse to do all the work. I couldn't feel very much slipping although it was a very low RPM 1st gear trail;

2. I noticed that I was riding 1 shift down and in higher RPMs in places where I used to be in a higher gear and in lower RPMs. Maybe that was beause I wanted to avoid the clutch squeal reported above and trying to avoid some possible slipping because higher RPMs provides a better bite of the clutch and that's, of course, because of the design of the rekluse itself (centrifugal force to expand EXP disc);

3. my bike boiled the coolant much early than before. That was odd because I was riding an well known trail for me and the bike haven't boiled in that course before;

4. Clutch lever feel was very different. When I've wanted to override Rekluse, I could not managed to adapt to it very well. It was harder to control the front on low speed 1st gear steeper hills where before I just use the lever to slip the clutch to control power output on the rear wheel.

Well, I need more tuning and testing to be more definitive on my impressions. First step will be to change the EXP springs do red (soft) and recheck everything again. Recheck my air filter to make sure it's not related with the overheating. Maybe change gear from 12x48 to 12x50.

If anyone here could share impressions about Rekluse autoclutch on this kind of riding (1st and 2nd gear single tracks).

Thanks!

Last edited by opm22; 06-03-2019 at 04:09 PM.

Old 05-31-2019, 12:30 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by opm22 View Post
Hi every GasGas fans out there, this is a very resourceful forum!
If anyone here could share impressions about Rekluse autoclutch on this kind of riding (1st and 2nd gear single tracks).

Thanks!
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

My riding is somewhat similar, but I am doing it on a EC200 and with a lower gearing (12/50). Hence, I presume I use a higher engine RPM than feels natural on the 300.

However, I haven't done a thing to the Rekluse EXP 3.0 since I installed it 3.5 years ago. I have done som 200 hours on it, all on the default settings. I presume that means that the default settings suits me well.
  • Yes, there is a squeal, but I ride with earplugs and don't really care, as there is no sign that the clutch wears rapidly even when it squeals.
  • My bike has never boiled, with or without Rekluse. However, I live in Norway, and we rarely see more than 25C in summer days.
  • I guess the clutch lever feel may be somewhat heavier, but I don't use it that much. After all, I have an auto clutch If if feels very different, I would recheck the slave sylinder and the bleeding of the line

As you can see, I am a very happy Rekluse owner.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 05-31-2019, 09:28 PM

I had a 2011 EC250 with the Rekluse clutch installed and it worked flawlessly. The one difference is that I had already swapped out the stock clutch basket for a Rekluse basket before I had the auto clutch. The Rekluse basket will eliminate the squeal. I also used Shell Rotella T witch also helps with the squeal.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:48 AM

My '11 EC250 does not squeal but I know Rick had just installed a Rekluse basket before I bought it from him. It also has the CR250F clutch mod as well. No overheating problems riding in the summer in the Arizona desert with no radiator fan even though it slips way more than I like. I have it adjusted to slip as little as possible but thinks it's time for the heavier wedges. I run ATF Type F in all my bikes whether auto-clutch or standard.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 06-02-2019, 03:55 PM

Default Rekluse Basket

I have run one in my 2011 without any problems since 2012. I just rebuilt the the clutch a couple of months ago after 6 years and 250 hours plus of run time. That included new fibers and steels with new springs and new clutch basket bearings, I bought a new EXP ring but I did not install it because the old EXP ring well within spec.

I run Shell Rotella and I have a Rekluse basket. The Rekluse will stop your squeal but the squeal will return if your clutch plates wear beyond spec and/or your clutch basket bearings wear beyond spec as well. Your clutch lever override should feel the same, you may need to bleed your hydraulic clutch. I have never had an over heating problem related to the Rekluse.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 06-03-2019, 04:04 PM

Thank you all for the great feedbacks on our beloved smokey GasGas Rekluse equipped bikes!!

Saturday I went out to trail, different ones but also very tight, steep, 1st and 2nd gear only.

Before starting the bike I had a clean air filter installed with a proper amount of oil (I had one past experience with my bike boiling due to an excess of filter oil use making mixture richer) and I've fully changed the coolant with new fluid. I only did this coolant change 2 years ago and from that time to now my bike probably boiled a few dozen times, and I was only refilling it, and probably the coolant had lost some of its characteristics.

The only other thing I did was to adjust free play through the slave cylinder, turning it clockwise in order to reduce free play a little bit more.

Conclusions after a 3 hour ride:

1. No more boiling on those 1st-tight-steeper sections, full coolant change was probably the right measure to take.

2. I felt less squeal on the clutch, probably because engine was running cooler after the full coolant change.

3. I missed the quick clutch drop on 1st gear when you get the rear wheel stucked in some obstacle. That big amount of power suddenly going to the rear wheel can take you out from some nasty rocks, dirt holes or tree roots. I feel that power delivery was smoother with the EXP clutch in this kinds of situations.

4. Overall impression over the Rekluse on my EC 300 had a little bit of improvement since the first impression/ride. But it will take me more time to reach to a final conclusion.

Next steps:

1. I will be trying to tune the EXP disc with all red (and softer) springs because mine is now tuned with the default medium setting from Rekluse: 3 red and 3 blue. I would expect less resistance to clutch engament, making it to engage earlier and quicker, and also staying engaged for a longer time.

2. I've ordered a new 50 teeth rear sprocket and as soon as it arrives I will be riding 12x50 and see how it goes.

3. I'm really considering to order a rekluse basket as I can use it even if I decide to go back to a manual clutch. It is on my wish list for a long time and maybe this is the time to go for it.

4. I will try to order the heavier wedges and make it a try on tuning for greater power delivery.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS109 View Post
...even though it slips way more than I like. I have it adjusted to slip as little as possible but thinks it's time for the heavier wedges.
can you tell me more about this adjustments to reduce slipping?
Old 06-04-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opm22 View Post
can you tell me more about this adjustments to reduce slipping?
There are three adjustments. The free play (done through the slave cylinder), the springs, and the wedges (ball bearings on earlier EXP versions).

The free play should be adjusted to Rekluse specs as far as I know. I would be very interested in hearing if anyone has played with this adjustment to help earlier engagement! The springs are simple. Lighter springs = earlier engagement/heavier springs = later engagement. Mine is set up with the lightest RED springs. Rekluse offers different weight wedge kits (or ball bearings for EXP 2.0) to adjust engagement rpm. Stock the EXP 3.0 comes with the MEDIUM wedges. Lighter wedges = later engagement/heavier wedges = earlier engagement. Mine still has the stock MEDIUM wedges.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220