Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 05-05-2020, 07:27 AM

Default 2002 EC200 wiring help.

Hi guys I'm brand new here just got my account approved today, I'm not new to bikes or forums but I joined here because I am new to GasGas. Last Monday I picked up an 02 EC200 for really cheap, it needs a little work but its all there and in great original condition considering its age. A few hours washing it the next afternoon after work and I'm pretty happy with what I've got so last week I spent every afternoon after work in the shed until late getting acquainted with the gasser, fixing dodgy wiring and reversing and rectifying some half arsed repairs so I could ride it over the weekend just gone, which I did.

Im chasing some help understanding the electrical system on this bike. This bike didn't come with a manual (standard for a 2nd hand bike...) so im finding a lot of info on this page and I have been doing a bit of reading over the last few days but I still need some help and some of it is just me being new to GG. firstly the Speedo unit is broken on this bike but it came with a brand new AceWell 3969 speedo unit which is really nice, never heard of them before but it looks quality. Its easy enough to mount and I only want to use it as a tacho, speedo and a temp gauge, rigging the inputs up is easy but powering the unit is another thing. I fitted a TrailTech Vapour to my road registered supermoto WRF but it has a battery and DC power was easy to tap into, Where and how can I take DC power from the bike to run the AceWell? I understand the bike is AC for lighting and such but has a Rec/Reg for the DC horn and ive found both on the bike, but how can I get DC power to run the speedo? do I need to add more components to sort it out or can I use whats on there already, I really don't want to run a battery on the bike either for simplicity reasons.

Secondly I am not stressed about indicators as this will be a trail bike only but I think a tail light/ brake light would be a good idea. it had an aftermarket tail light on it when I got it but dodgy wiring meant it didn't work, ive since tested it on a battery and it works but haven't been able to get a different brightness for tail and brake illumination, Where would the brake light switches be on this bike? it doesn't have pressure switch banjo fittings like my wrf nor does it have micro switches at the levers like a road bike, this bike is ADR approved (legal to register in Australia) so I imagine it would have had to have Tail and brake light functionality when new?

Thirdly and fourthly, curiously it looks like the original speedo pickup is on the rear wheel of this bike? that cant be right can it? where is a good place to get engine coolant temp from? I was thinking of tapping into the coolant inlet fitting/casting where the hoses from both radiators tee into that bolts onto the top of the cylinder head rather than cutting and shutting a coolant temp pickup into one of the rad hoses.

Any help is appreciated, I know it may have been covered elsewhere a while ago so if theres a similar thread that can help me with my questions im happy to be pointed in the right direction.

Cheers
Slosh.

Shed: 2018 TC250, 2010 WR450F Supermoto, 2008 RM125, 2007/2002 300SX hybrid, 2006 YZ250F TC222 Replica build, 2002 EC200

Old 05-05-2020, 02:58 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I had an 02 200, it was great once I threw away the stock needle, check jetting threads.

It had pressure banjos, must have been replaced as suspicious about brake interference. The speed sensor was on front I believe but I got that stuff in a box and could never make std dash go despite battery etc. You can buy a radiator cap temp combo for KTM same rad. Tusk brand. Saw on Ebay. Didn't bother in the end, just make sure I go easy until warm.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 05-06-2020, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
I had an 02 200, it was great once I threw away the stock needle, check jetting threads.

It had pressure banjos, must have been replaced as suspicious about brake interference. The speed sensor was on front I believe but I got that stuff in a box and could never make std dash go despite battery etc. You can buy a radiator cap temp combo for KTM same rad. Tusk brand. Saw on Ebay. Didn't bother in the end, just make sure I go easy until warm.
Yes the jetting took me a while to get my head around, massive main jet too, I will look into that needle. Yeah I want to tap into the temp as close to the cylinder as possible as that's where it counts.

No leads on a good wiring thread for one of these bikes? I cant even find a wiring diagram. just want to know how to get this DC acewell speedo powered up on an AC bike

Shed: 2018 TC250, 2010 WR450F Supermoto, 2008 RM125, 2007/2002 300SX hybrid, 2006 YZ250F TC222 Replica build, 2002 EC200
Old 05-06-2020, 02:45 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I have the tap for most jap temperature sensors, it is some dumb gas pipe fitting so it is tapered to help it seal . You only tap so deep.

There are threads with explanations I've seen before and old manuals with pretty rudimentary diagrams. You could just chase the wire from the rectifier, start the bike and try where you get power with a meter.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 05-10-2020, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
I have the tap for most jap temperature sensors, it is some dumb gas pipe fitting so it is tapered to help it seal . You only tap so deep.

There are threads with explanations I've seen before and old manuals with pretty rudimentary diagrams. You could just chase the wire from the rectifier, start the bike and try where you get power with a meter.
More than likely 1/8 GAS is pretty standard tapered thread. Yeah I will have to do some testing I guess.

Old 05-10-2020, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't even bother with the temp sender slosh. I've put over 600 engine hours over a couple of engines north of you, and never had any temp related issues. I think I've boiled the coolant twice. Riding at walking pace up big hills, coupled while testing jetting in a needle position too lean.

Wiring wise, easy enough to find 12VAC to tap into. Getting that back to DC takes some work. You could either try and source an inline rectifier like the horn uses, or you could potentially use the corrected signal from the horn.. or you could grab a cheap as chips Trail tech vapor/vector that will happily accept AC as an input and use that instead.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:38 AM

As above, temp senders on 2t?s are next to useless. I?ve had them and wouldn?t bother again.
The ace well units were ok, but they stopped importing them and the trail tech is a much easier unit to live with and wire up. A reliable Dc power source on the early bike is a pain. I?d be selling or swapping the ace well for a trail tech. The tacho function is average at best on them too.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
I wouldn't even bother with the temp sender slosh. I've put over 600 engine hours over a couple of engines north of you, and never had any temp related issues. I think I've boiled the coolant twice. Riding at walking pace up big hills, coupled while testing jetting in a needle position too lean.

Wiring wise, easy enough to find 12VAC to tap into. Getting that back to DC takes some work. You could either try and source an inline rectifier like the horn uses, or you could potentially use the corrected signal from the horn.. or you could grab a cheap as chips Trail tech vapor/vector that will happily accept AC as an input and use that instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser Nate View Post
As above, temp senders on 2t?s are next to useless. I?ve had them and wouldn?t bother again.
The ace well units were ok, but they stopped importing them and the trail tech is a much easier unit to live with and wire up. A reliable Dc power source on the early bike is a pain. I?d be selling or swapping the ace well for a trail tech. The tacho function is average at best on them too.
Thanks guys, made my decision easy, I'll dice the Acewell and get myself another Trail Tech Vapour, Ive got one on my WRF and I like it a lot. just looked up the manual and yes I can see it takes AC & DC.