Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:38 PM

Default Neck brace or knee braces

What do you put first neck or knees?
Im pretty poor and cant get both right now, so im wondering what people opinions are towards these pieces of equipment
If I get a neck brace it will be an alpinstars bionic sb ( the white one ) as I dont like the adventure leatt
And I dont know about knee braces.

cheers

Old 06-20-2010, 11:43 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobi View Post
What do you put first neck or knees?
Im pretty poor and cant get both right now, so im wondering what people opinions are towards these pieces of equipment
If I get a neck brace it will be an alpinstars bionic sb ( the white one ) as I dont like the adventure leatt
And I dont know about knee braces.

cheers
Have you considered a neck donut? Not too much money & better than nothing.Hard choice though,knees aren't as important s your neck but the knees are far more likely to have a serious injury.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:43 AM

A 16 year old up here recently broke his c4 c5 and still has paralysis in his legs. Knees can be fixed and you can still injure them pretty good with knee braces on. I would think neck but there is still no real research to support the neck braces. Do they really work? Do they break collar bones?

Last edited by GasGas; 06-21-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:05 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

If you are comparing neck brace and knee braces then i say go for cheapo knee guards (not braces, just to stop the usual bumps and falls) and get the neck brace.
make sure the neck brace is adjustable because if you cannot get it to fit properly you will not want to use it
Old 06-21-2010, 07:19 AM

I would go with a neck brace and get some inexpensive knee guards. Alpinestars Bionic Neck doesn't seem to break the collarbone. That's what I'm going to get. A few people have neck donut and they seem to like them. Fixing a knee or collarbone is better then breaking your neck and becoming paralyzed.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Site Sponsor

i use the evs race collar and thor force knee guards. i'm gonna get a leatt type brace relatively soon. the collar is just to stop helmet to collarbone breaks (i've broken both collarbones in the past..)
i know this is wrong thinking but my knees would be destroyed if i didn't have the knee guards.....lotsa rocks pop up and hit my shins/knees, as do logs/stumps/etc....to be safe, you really need both.

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 06-21-2010, 10:14 AM

You also have to assess your risk by considering your riding style, speed, conditions, etc. A technical trail rider in rocky terrain might be better served by good knee protection and a neck ring. An MX rider is another story. I'm running an EVS race collar until more data is available on some of these braces, and find one that is tolerable to wear with a plated clavicle (the Leatt is not).
Old 06-21-2010, 11:12 AM

Glenn,

Which one EVS is it? EVS labels 3 "race collar"

http://www.evs-sports.com/product/neck-protection

I'm trying to get something I can wear both dirt biking and snowmobiling. With snowmobiles there's no chest protector to attach the collar too. I guess you don't need to attach it...
Old 06-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Site Sponsor

i use rc3 - it attaches to roost protector. rc1 does not need to be attached. the rc3 is not as obtrusive as the rc1. if you get an rc3 and don't connect it to something, it will probably float around. i'm so used to the rc3 i instantly forget that's it there - some complain about loss of range of motion with the rc3 - but it's never been an issue with me. all the rc's and leatt style braces will limit some motion (or else they wouldn't work....)

loose rock is everywhere here. the knee guards are crucial here. last week a dude busted his kneecap, i couldn't believe he didn't have kneeguards on. here's it's as necessary as a helmet. everytime i hear a rock hit my guards, i realize what a good investment they are. know if i could just get a pair of elbow guards that didn't contibute to arm pump...

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 06-21-2010, 12:11 PM

i think fox makes some elbow pads that are like a sleeve instead of straps, though they arn't particularly beefy. my girlfriend has a set and likes them though. i like my evs elbow pads and they do not give me arm pump.