Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:03 PM

As someone suggested, watch C2 training video if you can. Also makes a big difference on how big you are. Bigger guys naturally tend to have a slower rhythm, than a smaller guy. And what kind of workout you're doing will also dictate the pace.

When I'm trying for a 500M personal best, I'm running a mid 30's stroke rate. An aggressive workout or a strong 2000 meter pace and I'm in the high 20's or low 30's. If I'm doing a long slow workout, it's mid 20's for me, but everyone is different.

8:46 for 2000M is decent, but not setting the world on fire. Again it depends upon age, weight, size, etc. Sub 7 minute and you've got something to brag about.

I have rowed over 500,000M in the last three weeks for the challenge and yes I live on the rower. But I'm rowing at a very casual pace for me.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Hey Girard,

Just finished working out - did a half hour on the rower and another half hour on a recumbent bike - I was doing about 22 strokes/min. Did about 6k meters...

I kinda "sprint" after the "catch" and then smoothly return... I do between 2:18 min/500 meters and 2:30 per 500 meters most of the time right now - but picking it up as I get in better shape.

jeff
Nice.
Using my rowing shell is a whole different ball game. Takes me 6:00min to cross the lake, which is 900 meters on the GPS.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Given my double bypass in april - my pace is completely determined by my heart rate monitor - I adjust my pace to keep my heart rate in the target zone.

I learned to row in a Pocock racing shell on Lake Chelan (washington state) when I graduated from college - spent a summer there. The lake is 1.5 miles wide-ish and 55 miles long - it was smooth as glass in the early morning - so nice... I do remember "catching a crab" a few times - the racing shell was extremely narrow and if you catch an oar wrong - you go over into the lake...

My wife and I rowed locally on the willamette river when we first met - she rowed in college... I rowed with her only once in a double - that didn't go well.

jeff
Old 01-27-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I rowed with her only once in a double - that didn't go well.

jeff
Is that like riding a tandem bicycle together?
Old 01-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
Is that like riding a tandem bicycle together?
Tandem - yep - and she was in back telling me I wasn't doing it right - You both have to have good technique and be synchronized or else you "tangle oars" pretty fast.

. She said I wasn't doing it right when the rowing class instructor told her she wasn't doing it right. Of course, she disagreed with us...

jeff
Old 01-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I'm in

I change the distances up depending on how I am feeling. When I am on I aim for under six minutes for 1,500 metres including warm up but usually average 6:15 - 6:20 or 6:45 if I am hungover. I hit the mid-ten minute mark when the distance is 2,500 metres but sometimes approaces 11 minutes if I gas early or feeling off.

I hate the machine when I am doing it but feel like a million bucks afterwards. Love how it works out the forearms, back and legs. After Christmas the handle sure hit my gut a lot faster...
Old 02-01-2011, 02:50 PM

The Concept II January Challenge is now over. The KTM Talk team finished 13th overall and I think 3rd for teams with approximately the same amount of members. I rowed the most meters for team, just over 800,000. Next year we should do this. That way I'm not rowing in a sea of orange.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I can join you please keep us posted, of the next challenge. I just spent a week on a boat and it had 2 brand new PM4 concepts, I worked on my 2K and at the end of the week I could only muster 7.20 I tried to bust the 7 min mark but just got to feeling funky towards the end, so I bet in time maybe I could, who knows!!!