Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:11 PM

Default who wears body armour??

Been thinking about buying some for a while hear so many horror stories with peoples backs and things can anybody recommend anything that doesnt make me look like robocop!!

Old 01-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I wear the EVS ballistic jersey. It works pretty good and fits under my regular jersey. When it's hot i just wear the EVS
Old 01-30-2008, 07:38 PM

I wear the 661 prssure suit,cool in summer fits under jacket in spring&summer very comfortably
Old 01-30-2008, 08:15 PM

I live in Houston, Texas. I also have the six six one pressure suit. Depending on where you live it may be to hot for you as mine burns me up in the Houston heat & humidity. I really like all of theprotection it offers but man I just dehydrate while wearing it.

So I wear a regular 661 roost protector most all of the time now.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:55 PM

I wear a very nice Acerbis Koerta which you can now get in the US. I had to get mine from Canada a few years ago. You should also look at the new 08 model from Rock Gardn (that's spelled correct). It's got some very decent looking rib protection which very few if any have and overall nice protection. You want to spend big bucks ($400) get the new Dianese Wave. It's got about the best designed shoulder pad design I've seen along with the usual body armor features and outstanding Dianese quality.

I wear a Cool-Max jersey under mine and use the most vented shirt I can find over the armor in warmer or hot weather. So far it's been ok and I sweat like a pig but it helps to keep moving because when you stop you can heat up. A problem I have and others have mentioned is the built in kidney belts can ride up. It's not a deal breaker but I think a seperate kidney belt would be better. I may actually cut mine off. I like the Armor but I actually think a kind of hybred body armor/chest protector combo WITH rib protection might be the best if it was made. I think at some point this season I am going to do just that and try to make something like that. IMO almost every chest protector on the market has the shoulder protection designed wrong. Take a look at that new Dianese if you want to see good shoulder design AND upper arm/bicep protection as well as the built in forearm/elbow guards. I'm not keen on their back piece though but it can be removed for something different if desired. Overall I believe in the body armor and use it but it still needs some refinements IMO. Most chest protectors on the other hand are lame wimpy undersized pieces of overpriced plastic made more for show than protection. For many this is fine but not me. Pick your poison. Sorry for the rant

Skidad in MA
Old 01-31-2008, 12:52 AM

I don't go riding unless I'm all armored-up.

Knee/shin, padded compression shorts, chest protector, elbow/forearm, neck, kidney pad.

I'm saving for a helmet and boots.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:34 AM

I live in South Africa where our temperatures range from 0 celsius to 40 celsius. I ride with the AXO body armour, with a short sleeve surf vest underneath. In winter it keeps you warm, and in summer you sweat like hell when standing still, but once on the move the airflow cools you down nicely. The armour fits much more snugly, so when you fall, the chances of it moving around on your body and exposing your flesh to the ground are much smaller. I won't go back to a normal chest protector without serious development being done on a new design of chest protector.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:50 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I hate the restricted feeling of body armor. I even hate my chest protector, but I wear it because of slapping branches and rocks. I do wear CTi2 knee braces, high end boots, and a high end helmet though, those areas need protection, and comfort is of high importance, and unfortunately, high price. I suppose the body armor is a great idea, but it somehow needs to not restrict movement, not stick to the skin, or dig in through a shirt, and not overheat you. I have not found that yet.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Last edited by roostafish; 01-31-2008 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Poor verbage.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:42 PM

Too hot. I wear basic gear and everything is padded, with a CTi on the right knee. Padded shorts. Decent HJC helmet. Kevco Stubbs belt. I need a new set of SG10s.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:43 PM

I wear an Acerbis Zoom2 and I like it very much. My only issue is when the arm pieces rotate and cause some binding. It does't cause me anything other than the occasional annoyance. I'll take the occaional annoyance in order to help prevent injuries. I know that my shoulders thank me for wearing it.

Mike Baxter