Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 09-28-2023, 04:00 PM

Default 2008 gas gas electric start

I bought myself an electric start system for my 2008 gas gas ec200. It is complete aside from some wiring. I have some of the electrical for it but not all of it and I?m wondering a few things about wiring it in.
Can I run power straight from the stater to the battery to charge it? Or do I need to rectify it? And from there can I simply run an on off button to my starter? I?ve done wiring on vehicles and lights and from what I know it should work but the way gas gas has it from factory seems much more complicated.
And info or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Jer

Old 09-28-2023, 04:21 PM

I just did this swap on my '11 earlier this year. The wiring diagram I used to wire mine in was for a 2013 XC model. I have a copy if you need it.

The e-start bikes do have a rectifier to charge the battery and it must be used. You could wire in a cheap Amazon/Ebay rectifier that's capable of handling whichever stator you have.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 09-28-2023, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS109 View Post
I just did this swap on my '11 earlier this year. The wiring diagram I used to wire mine in was for a 2013 XC model. I have a copy if you need it.

The e-start bikes do have a rectifier to charge the battery and it must be used. You could wire in a cheap Amazon/Ebay rectifier that's capable of handling whichever stator you have.
The wiring diagram would definitely be helpful. The little box is the only electrical thing I got other than wires, I?m not to sure what it is but maybe it?s all I need?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4918.jpg (82.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 09-29-2023, 12:43 AM

That's your starter relay. It goes between the positive on your battery and the starter. Your handlebar start switch controls it. You're still going to need a regulator/rectifier for charging. BTW, do you have the 2k2 or 2k3 stator? You'll need the bigger one for charging a battery IIRC.

Sorry, but it was the 2015 manual I used for wiring. Here is a download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h9-...ew?usp=sharing I think it's page 21 you need. Make sure the schematic is listed for the 250/300 e-start models.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 09-29-2023, 09:56 AM

Okay I see, I?m not sure what stator I have as I?m not sure how to tell but I?ll attack an image of it in case that helps. My dad has a 2009 ktm 300 that has had the e start deleted so I can probably use the regulator from it I?m assuming? I didn?t have time to fully look into the wiring on my bike but I don?t think I have all the plugins I need so there will probably have to be some jimmy rigging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3176.jpg (128.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-29-2023, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
Okay I see, I?m not sure what stator I have as I?m not sure how to tell but I?ll attack an image of it in case that helps. My dad has a 2009 ktm 300 that has had the e start deleted so I can probably use the regulator from it I?m assuming? I didn?t have time to fully look into the wiring on my bike but I don?t think I have all the plugins I need so there will probably have to be some jimmy rigging.
I think you have the bigger 2k3 stator. You can tell the difference by where the wires come out of the case. 10 o'clock position is 2k2 and 2 o'clock position is 2k3.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 10-01-2023, 08:40 PM

Alright so I?ve got my starter working somewhat but I?ve encounter a few problems. I took all the electrical stuff off my dad?s ktm 300, including the reg/rec wiring harness relay and battery. I have it just sitting on the bike for now with the stator wire going to where the stator wire off the ktm went. Then I just ran the wire to my gas gas starter and with the press of the button it cranks as expected. My problem now is that the bike won?t start. There is a little ground on the coil that I took off because it?s part of the ac circuit and it was where I grounded the ground wire from my ktm wire harness. If I have both grounded at the same time it will start but there is lots of sparks and definitely is not correct.
Not really sure if this makes sense haha but I don’t really know how to explain it

Last edited by Jer; 10-01-2023 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 05:19 PM

Okay so for what I?ve read in the past forums what I need to do is float my ground. I see that there is two options, other you can float the ac ground or isolate the DC ground and have all grounds on the battery. I think floating the AC ground is the better option for me because the starter would be grounding to the frame either way. This way will also allow for minimal cutting of the ktm wiring harness I?m using in case I want to put it back on the ktm in the future.

I?ve seen many people talking about how to float the ground. From what I gather you have to cut and solder 2 wired together on the stator. I?m not sure if anyone has posted pictures but they certainly would be a big help if anyone has. Now my problem with the bike not starting upon removing the ac grounds on the coil still stands however I?m hoping it?ll be sorted out when I float the ground or maybe I can find tbe solution somewhere in a pre existing forum.