Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 09-20-2013, 11:58 AM

During my phone calls and e-mails to them, they've never mentioned it.

Twisted Engineering is not going for minimal weight. They are going for flex characteristics with a weight that is close to the same as conventional bars.

T.E. would argue that their bars are stronger then conventional aluminum versions.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
Twisted Engineering is not going for minimal weight. They are going for flex characteristics with a weight that is close to the same as conventional bars.

T.E. would argue that their bars are stronger then conventional aluminum versions.
I see. By the way, the very same regulation applies for MX. So these bars are unusable for international/official events according to official technical rules.
It was only matter of time until someone comes out with a product like this - especially considering how widespread carbon bars of similar size are in the bicycle world nowadays. These can be made strong, no doubt, but according to the official rulebook these bars are illegal as of today.
This situation has to be addressed somehow. It is in manufacturers interests to find a way to communicate their needs to FIM. I would imagine that once carbon bars come closer in pricelevels to the ordinary metal handlebars FIM could consider removing this particular limitation from the rulebook and replace it with approval of some sort. But potential buyers should be aware of this product's current legal status in official international events. Bikes with composite handlebars will not pass technical inspection on these events - it is simple as that.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

You mean there is an ISDE slow fat class and i can't use my bars. Dammit!
Old 09-20-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwdc View Post
You mean there is an ISDE slow fat class and i can't use my bars. Dammit!
OMG That's funny right there, I don't care who you are!
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 09-21-2013, 01:29 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargusV View Post
I see. By the way, the very same regulation applies for MX. So these bars are unusable for international/official events according to official technical rules.
It was only matter of time until someone comes out with a product like this - especially considering how widespread carbon bars of similar size are in the bicycle world nowadays. These can be made strong, no doubt, but according to the official rulebook these bars are illegal as of today.
This situation has to be addressed somehow. It is in manufacturers interests to find a way to communicate their needs to FIM. I would imagine that once carbon bars come closer in pricelevels to the ordinary metal handlebars FIM could consider removing this particular limitation from the rulebook and replace it with approval of some sort. But potential buyers should be aware of this product's current legal status in official international events. Bikes with composite handlebars will not pass technical inspection on these events - it is simple as that.
What would their reasoning be for not allowing them?

I also compete (participate) in the slow class but would be gutted if I had a completion taken away because I am just trying to give my joints a break after the years of beating received from fim sanctioned bars
Do Flexx bars being a composit of metal and rubber not fall into the same category?

(For the record I do not have twisted bars yet)
Old 09-21-2013, 07:31 AM

No composite helmets either??? No composite subframes (maybe not such a bad thing, eh?). Only steel knee braces? Where will it end?
Old 09-21-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
What would their reasoning be for not allowing them?
Cost, reliability, safety I would think. It is easy to get costs totally spiraling out of the control if there is no limitation on materials. What next - frames made of titanium? Brakes from beryllium? Limitations are necessary to keep our beloved sport as affordable as possible. As carbon details generate a lot of sharp-edged particles when breaking this may also be a matter of safety. But these are only my own assumptions, not facts. I do not know what goes on in FIM officials' brains . So please do not kill the messenger. :P
Old 09-21-2013, 05:37 PM

There was a concern about carbon bodywork impaling people if it broke in a crash, so monocoque subframes and panels were outlawed, and it sounds like carbon in general.

PlusOnePerformance
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 09-21-2013, 06:30 PM

But carbon composite helmets are allowed. I love this country!
Old 09-22-2013, 11:52 AM

All you Twisted Engineering bars owners.....
How are these bars holding up?
Curious how long you've had them and how many rides you have on them and wrecks and how they held up after a wipeout?