Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:22 PM

Default 07 pipe guard

I'm looking for a pipe guard for an 07 ec300. Preferably aluminum but carbon fiber is OK.

Who's a good supplier?

Old 03-07-2008, 09:28 AM

I'd recommend a hyde racing skid plate/pipe guard combo. Better than aluminum or carbon fibre.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac View Post
I'd recommend a hyde racing skid plate/pipe guard combo. Better than aluminum or carbon fibre.
The problem with the Hyde is the plastic bends trashing the frame rails. I've been down that road before with a Hyde on a KTM. We ride areas that have serious drop off ledges which are really hard on skid plates. I even welded extra aluminum to my Montesa trials bike plate for this very reason.

The Hyde looks like the best protection for the pipe but pipes are cheaper than frames.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:55 PM

Doesn't Hyde make just the pipe guard for the GG bikes without the skidplate?

You could always try to mount the Hyde combo directly to an aluminum glide plate. Double your protection on the botton and get the pipe protection as well. Just a thought.

Skidad in MA
Old 03-07-2008, 03:10 PM

Doesn't Hyde make just the pipe guard for the GG bikes without the skidplate?

You could always try to mount the Hyde combo directly to an aluminum glide plate. Double your protection on the botton and get the pipe protection as well. Just a thought.

Skidad in MA
Old 03-08-2008, 08:47 PM

That would be difficult as you'd see with the Hyde in hand. It fits very close to the frame with the front mount recessed between the rails. The pipe guard center section is one piece with the plate, with the side sections rivited on.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:11 PM

Check out www.whipps.com.au

They make the cage style like I've seen in Hawaii. They list to '04 but that part of the frame was not changed. Other than that, none except for the universal bend it yourself type. Perhaps weld some supports from one of those to an alloy skid plate for additional support.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:47 PM

With reports of the Hyde allowing the frame rails to bend I have been tinking of beefing it up a bit. I am thinking of adding either another layer of plastic or some frame sliders in the form of plastic strip that run the length of the frame rail outside the plate. Kind of like skids that would distribute the load. If and when I get around to it I'll post some pics.

Paul B
Old 03-09-2008, 08:29 PM

I think you have to hit something extreme to do that. I cased mine out several times with no damage, but I also consider line selection and do not just toss the bike in the rocks. On my '03 with a Flatland plate (thick), I ran over a flat rock that the front tire lifted and caught the plate, jacking the bike off the ground and almost pitching me off. The plate was badly dinged, weld cracked, and the side rail under the clutch cover creased slightly. Point is there will always be something you can hit that will defeat the armor you have.

If your interested in trying something what about some aluminum pipe sections, cut lengthwise, and mounted over the frame rails under the Hyde?
Old 03-09-2008, 10:30 PM

You must not ride in the type of terrain we do. Arkansas, Missouri and Colorado are really hard on bikes. Unless there's no choice I don't bother with those ridiculous carbon fiber pipe guards or plastic skid plates. My buddies in Tennessee and Virginia swear by this stuff but it will die quickly on rocky Ozark trails. Flatland plates are good but pulling them off and welding another piece of aluminum plate or hammering them back out occasionally is a good idea.

Good armor is really worthwhile. How many times have you broken chain guides or bent carrier mounted rear shark fins? Not uncommon around here.