Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default yamahahahahaha

If i wanted a jap bike i'd buy a jap bike, I say this is crap!!!!!!!
GG should build their own engine or stay with a Euro builder. I can't see it, even if they do top end suspension there are plenty of tuners doing the Yamaha's suspension and getting great results, why not just buy a Yamaha and tune it to yourself???

And regaurding KTM reliability, I've owned many of these hated orange bikes including some 4st models, and ride with many people that still ride them. I can say with complete confidence that KTM builds a bullet prof bike, as good as any and better than most. You can not buy a better bike than a KTM IMO. I prefer the GG but i don't think for one second it's a better bike. My reason for not riding orange is political as i'm big into road racing and KTM pulled some stinky crap in GP with the Roberts team, also some poor moves in enduro management over the years. Otherwise i would still be very happy with the orange machines.

I say NO to Yamaha.

KTM990 ADV
2005 DE250, son's bike.
2004 rm 134 son?s bike
1949 HD panhead custom
2015 Beta 430 Race Edition, sold
2008 ec300, sold
2011 ec200 sold
2004 Triumph Daytona 955I(sold)
2004 Honda RC51, Nicky Edition. Sold
2003 Aprilia rsv1000 R crashed
KTM 450 XCW (sold)
Husaberg FE 501, sold, FE400. sold
2004 KTM 200 exc.(son's bike)sold
2004 Mxc 450 , sold
Many orange bikes also sold.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:12 PM

Yes they did. I think this company survived as long as it did by playing it conservative, building on its strengths, and minimizing risk. This is no different. Don't forget GG is a SMALL company, nothing like KTM much less one of the Japaneese four. Let their marketing research play out. Also, no one said this was a replacement for their own motor, or they were giving up. According to the guys I talked to at the NYC show that were at the factory, the GG designed motor does exist, is quite small and powerful, but is not production ready.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:16 PM

I'd also add to the whats it gonna have that the yamaha won't question???
Maybe sell it as an upmarket 250f that yamaha wouldn't put together?? I'm currently looking at a 200 or 125 2t to replace my 300. If I got some ride time on a 250f and liked it I might go that route. If the gasser was a bit up market and had a little extra something that the yammie did not I might buy one. If it was similar to the yammie and priced the same I still might buy one. right now I'm still leaning to the 2t. ktm 2t is at the head of the pack at the moment .... 2t's are less work to take care of.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:50 AM

off subject.. if you want a 200 the Gasser is quite stronger in the motor and much more "flickable" I have had both
Old 05-15-2009, 07:19 AM

I suspect that this bike will attract current or past GG owners who like the chassis, but also like 250F style power. It doesn't sound like they would build a lot of them, maybe enough to fill a niche market. Sure the average buyer on the street is likely to choose the Yamaha, its a safe bet. Just like the KTM herd mentality, "If most people have one it must be best".

Speaking of KTM, there building a small sports car, the "X-Bow" or "Cross Bow", with an Audi engine. One could say, "Why not just buy a real Audi?"

It will be interesting to see how this plays out both here and in Europe.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Yes they did. I think this company survived as long as it did by playing it conservative, building on its strengths, and minimizing risk. This is no different. Don't forget GG is a SMALL company, nothing like KTM much less one of the Japaneese four. Let their marketing research play out. Also, no one said this was a replacement for their own motor, or they were giving up. According to the guys I talked to at the NYC show that were at the factory, the GG designed motor does exist, is quite small and powerful, but is not production ready.
GMP is spot on here. Husky and TM are dropping major time and money into making new lightweight 250 4T motors. Sherco took 3 or 4 years to get out their 250f. GG has mitigated their risk and decided to concentrate their efforts in what they do best. This move should get 250f Gassers into the hands of the small group of GG riders that are really willing to put their money down on a 250f. In my opinion, most all of the guys attracted to the GasGas brand and no-nonsense riders that prefer a 2 banger.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

With the world's economy in shambles, we should be lucky that Gas Gas is giving us an option of having a 4 stroke 250.

Maybe the Yamaha 250 motor is a stop gap so they can make some money to put back into their R+D program.

What's the biggest "problem" on Jap bikes?
Everything around the motor falls apart after a few races.
So having a Jap motor in a Gas Gas
chassis is having the best of both worlds.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:09 AM

Exactly...

I don't quite understand why some of you guys are so negative about simply having another choice.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:25 AM

As long as there's no Yamaha branding on the engine, I'd be okay with it. I would hope the price is significantly cheaper than the true GasGas thumpers. Hell, it shouldn't be more than the 2-strokes either.

Wouldn't mind adding a 250f to the stable. My dream: GasGas EC300R, FSR515, 250f and a Raga 300. That'd be one nice looking garage!
Old 05-15-2009, 10:32 AM

I need to throw my two cents in. Have you guys ridden the new alum. four stroke yamahas? They suck "IMO" in the woods. Top heavy, and long steering POSs. I owned one for 2 1/2 seasons and I absolutley could not get that bike to handle technical woods riding to same my life. Suspension was great and motor was outstanding. You could blitz whoops and rip through bermed up corners all day long. Put that bike into tight nasty woods section and man, it felt like it was literally 2'-0" longer then my gas gas's. It also had that heavy feel to it and it was the YZ version. Even my 515 out carved my 250F Yamaha! (It did everything easier except whoops.) If you do nothing but ride high speed stuff with lots of sand, moto, and whoops, you should be on the Yami. If you are a hardcore offroad (woods rider) the choice is clear. Gas Gas. Just my opinion. I think it is a safe option for now (by Gas Gas). I just hope that if they do release this bike, it has a hydro clutch. That was another BIG complaint of mine. Also, it would be cool if they included some type of billet plug to delete the electric start if you so choose. My 250F was a vary easy starter with the kicker - Hot or Cold.

Brian