Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 06-29-2008, 01:09 PM

Default '05 fse450 starting problems

I neglected my bike and let her sit for several weeks without use and the battery died (not on tender). I replaced the battery, but now nothing happens when I turn on the ignition switch. The battery is fine and the starter cranks well, but the efi will not activate. The pump doesn't prime as before. I have checked the connections and can't find the culprit. Any suggestions would be helpfull.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:54 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Check the fuses, located behind the right side panel.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have checked all the fuses I could find including the one behind the headlight and all 4 behind the right side cover. They all appear to be fine, but I've not yet tried replacing them anyway.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:59 AM

Your fuel pump relay might be the problem. If the lights do not come on when you turn ignition on, then the relay is next to check. Try interchanging the two relays located behind the right side panel. One is fuel pump(and lights) relay, and the other is for the fan
Old 07-14-2008, 08:33 PM

I had this same problem and it ended up being a direct short in my ECU. It would blow the 3 amp fuse under the seat. After 750 dollars later and 3 months it is now working.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:21 PM

I hadn't started my 05 in a couple of weeks and when I tried Saturday it turned over but wouldn't start. I couldn't hear the fuel pump when I turned the key.

After checking all the fuses and relays I put the kick starter back on and kicked through a couple of times and then it started with the e button.

The internal gear on my kick starter is bad and won't even turn over the engine anymore so I was hoping to get the fuel pump to prime with the kick starter. I don't know if that did it or not but it did start after that.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:34 AM

How did it go, slow2learn? Found the problem?

My '05 FSe did an odd thing yesterday. After running it hard for an hour, I loaded into my hauler and went home. It sat in the truck a couple of hours and cooled down. when I unloaded it and hit the e-button to get it up the driveway into the garage it just wouldn't start. Fuel pump was priming, starter turned very good.

Tried the button in short burst for a minute or so, then gave up and pushed the bike up into the garage. Did a few more tries, still dead. Also tried to cycle the ignition on and off a couple of times, no luck. Turned off ignition and took the key out, and also pulled up the stering lock key which had fallen down beside the instrument and the horn. It is attached to the ignition key with a piece of nylon rope. Now I inserted the ignition key, turned it on and the bike fires right up at the touch of the e-button.

Could the steering lock key have shortened the unconnected stop button harness?
Weird. And when it started it did not at all appear to be flooded, which would be normal after so many starting attempts if there were no spark.(unless the ECU turns of both spark and injector at the touch of the stop button..)

[edit] it turns out my bike does not have the stop button wiring (as it says in the wiring diagram). I hate intermittent problems.

Last edited by bergerhag; 07-30-2008 at 04:26 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:44 PM

Thumbs up Fuel Pump Relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergerhag View Post
Your fuel pump relay might be the problem. If the lights do not come on when you turn ignition on, then the relay is next to check. Try interchanging the two relays located behind the right side panel. One is fuel pump(and lights) relay, and the other is for the fan
I chased a problem like that for a while, finally took Nick's advice and found a NAPA store (not that common here) to get the replacement relays he listed in a post here. It still took quite a while to start this spring after sitting 5 months but otherwise has been reliable since the replacement. Took more searching than I expected, the relays are NAPA #AR-614

Bruce

I would highly recomend having the bike "live" on a battery tender whenever not in use, I don't always have that option (only two bikes fit into the garage - the others "rest" in a tent between rides) but it certainly starts (and I think runs) better when "coddled"

Last edited by Fire Escape; 08-02-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:46 PM

Thanks for posting the part#.

I'm on the Colorado 500 and need to find one tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:24 PM

I have the Napa relays also. The stock one's are not sealed well and break down. Also, my '05 fse wouldn't start rcently and it ended up being my spark plug. Put a new one in and it fired right up.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1