Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:46 PM

Default Unsure if 2004 EC300 down on power.

Gday Guys,

I recently bought a 2004 GasGas EC300 to get back into dirtbiking after a couple of years off. Its a really nice machine, I like it alot. I do however think its a touch down on power. Its funny, because after a day on the trails it performed faultlessly....it has all the power I need, starts easily and idles well. yet, riding it back to back against my mates 2008 KTM EXC 300, and a 2002 YZ250WR it is definately slower. My question is, should the Gasser have as much grunt as a 2008 model KTM?

Im in a funny spot as Im pretty sure its down on power yet it already has more than enough for my needs. Part of me thinks it needs a top end refresh, and this will bug me until i do it...the other part of me says 'if it aint broke dont fix it'....in relation to the fact it already performs enough for my needs.

What do you guys think?

Brendan

Old 08-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Any chance you can do a compression test? Thats probably the first step to checking the top end. Do one normal, another with some oil in there to see if the rings are sealing properly. Quick and easy.

Alternatively you can pull the jug and slap a fresh piston in it for around $250AU and you'll know what you're dealing with.. good base for maintenance intervals.

The YZ will always feel snappier due to the nature of the engine. It was designed as a motorcrosser and a gg will never feel like this without some serious work. The KTM shouldn't be too far off, but in saying that theres a ton of variables that effect power delivery including but not limited to, head/squish clearances, porting, powervalve timing, jetting, pipes, etc.

I don't have any experience with the older gassers but I think i read somewhere the earlier ones didn't rev as well as the later models and liked to be short shifted more. Don't take my word on it though.

Finally, just because a bike feels faster doesn't always mean it is A hard transition onto the pipe will give arm ripping power which rates high on the bum dyno. A smooth transition will feel seamless.. Both can be making the same HP, and the one laying it smoothly will do so much more effectively. What I'm saying is if the bike is mechanically in order, and you're happy with its performance, then be happy and go chasing more angry when you feel you need it! In the meantime enjoy riding the bike that lets you ride it, as opposed to it riding you!

Cheers
Old 08-03-2011, 11:55 PM

"I think I read somewhere the earlier ones didn't rev as well as the later models and liked to be short shifted more"

This is what it kind of feels like. In the scrub, I could keep up with the KTM with ease..it wasnt until we were on the fast open firetrail where we pinned it next to each other that I noticed he was pulling away pretty easily.

I think i'll do a comp test, what should it read? Bout 180psi?

yeah your advice is sound...I think i'll leave it alone until i have a genuine need to open her up.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

Compression is pretty variable too depending on the squish/head mods that have been performed. Somewhere around 175psi would be in the field. Mainly you don't want too much variance between the readings with/without oil added.

How does compression feel through the kick starter? How does the engine sound? How long since its seen a new piston/rings?

Don't under estimate the effect jetting can have once you confirm all is well mechanically too.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:42 AM

Pull the pipe and look at the piston and rings through the exhaust port. That will at least let you see if there is blow-by discoloring the area just below the rings. If it looks bad keep going and pull the cylinder.

+1 on the above statement... Smooth doesn't mean slow. Put a stopwatch to it if you really want to know.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:00 AM

I agree smooth doesn't always mean slow. My son has a 2011 TM 250 MX and it's like a race horse on crack. That thing is pure race bike. I have the 2010 GasGas 300. We lined them up and drag raced about five times or so he won each time but only by a few bike legnths. I out weigh him by 30+ lbs and our drag racing skills are pretty much equal. If you rode the two bikes back to back you would think the TM would just walk off and leave the GG in the dust. My GG feels like an XR250 buy compairson but reality it's fast. So like the guys said smooth can be FAST. Line up with somone and see.