Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Site Sponsor

Default Please forgive me...I just made my 25th post on KTMtalk

....of course it took 6 years to reach that mark.

Seriously they're having a discussion in their "Racers Forum" about qualifying for Six Days that I couldn't resist getting involved in.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist

Old 10-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

LOL. That's great!

I joined them May 24, 2004 and only have 3 posts. I think I should get a cookie or something.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkyboy View Post
....of course it took 6 years to reach that mark.

Seriously they're having a discussion in their "Racers Forum" about qualifying for Six Days that I couldn't resist getting involved in.

Hi Steve,

I didn't know that you visit the KTM Talk site? I don't even go on it so you can imagine how surprised I was to read that you do. All kidding aside, thank you for your nice post on my thread. I hope that all is well in MN.

Billy
Old 10-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Site Sponsor

Billy

Things are good, business is good!!

I check KTMtalk out every now and then, but normally I'm not into the KTM politics and rarely post, but this discussion (in the Off Road Racers Corner) on the 2009 US ISDE qualifier series is kinda interesting.

check your PM

Old 10-03-2008, 04:30 PM

All good

I have almost 1,500 posts over there but have never owned anything but a KTM (or Penton formerly). My 97 250 EXC is a total keeper for me and the volume of information over there is quite amazing compared to here.

But now I own a GASSER as well. Yeah, it took almost 300 posts and some (many?) doubters that I would ever get one but I did finally bite the bullet and get the 07 300. I like to play on both sides of the fence but am really looking forward to my new bike. The fact that there are so few Gas Gas bikes around compared the KTM's is great IMO. I love that fact. My 97 KTM now becomes the backup/practice bike.

Steve, I just placed my first order with you guys yesterday afternoon. I think it was you who I talked to. Thanks for the free shipping, good info and letting me pick your brain a bit.

Skidad
Old 10-04-2008, 02:42 PM

It is an interesting thread. Over the last 30 or so years, since motorcycles have become reliable, the ISDE has become a (total) speed event, yet "average Joe's" are allowed to compete. As an ISDE vet, I like that it is open to riders that meet a certain criteria, but I also wonder what the "best solution" is. I have been following the thread, but have not posted since I see good reasons to keep it the same, as well as make it more prestigious.
Trust me, there is a huge difference in being top 5 or 10 in your state series verses going to the ISDE, the fast guys simply rage at the ISDE.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Site Sponsor

tm_enduro

Your right, the reliabiltiy thing has completlely changed the sport. Dick Burelson has talked to me about the days (in the 70's for him when all the bikes were twin shocked and air cooled) when they had to carry complete top ends with them. Brakes were another problem all together.

Today any modern bike has 95% chance of finishing if the rider takes the proper precautions when preping and riding. Most riders that do go out are normally due to brain fade when the make a stupid mistake and crash out.

As far as a lot of country's club teams basically being able to buy themselves into Six Days the US has a fairly competitive qualifier series that keeps the bar fairly high for us at least.

And I guess I'm all for our country's approach of legitimately having a series to fill our roster where only 1 in 4, sometimes 1-3, that try to qualify actually make it. If we started DNF'ing a lot of riders consistantly at Six Days then I think we would have to start reducing the numbers we allowed to go.