Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 06-10-2010, 09:37 AM

Default white gunk coming from crankcase breather tube

Hey guys,

Bike is a 2004 Gas Gas FSE 450 (later model for you guru's)

So I have this milky white discharge that has been coming from my engine breather tube. It's at the top and comes out near air box and I'm assuming it's from the crankcase?

The coolant levels don't seem to drop at all, but I have always topped it off before every ride anyways. The overflow bottle will only fill up if I top it off to the top of the rad cap.

So When I drain the oil out of the frame and transmission it's truly emaculate as though It was out of the quart bottle itself.

I notice no loss of power or compression, bike runs and feels great. Their was white smoke coming from exhaust and tail pipe for about 5 - 10 seconds then it was gone, after I had some trouble getting it started (seemed like it was flooded for a bit before getting started) one time, and on most cold starts their is no white smoke coming at all

My guess would be that either my water pump seals are shot behind my alloy empeller or their is just lots of condensation built up in my engine and it needs to be burned out? Even though I have done a couple oil changes to see if I can flush it out, should I do
more?

I have not done any water crossings or washed my bike for about 3 rides now.

Here are some pics attached to the post.

Thanks for all your help!

Crankin04
Attached Images
File Type: jpg breathertube2.JPG (73.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg whitedischarge2.JPG (33.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Airbox2.JPG (40.9 KB, 41 views)

Old 06-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

If engine oil is fine when drained, don't worry about this. Oil splashes up the breather tube, and get mixed with condensation of water. Remove the tube and clean it out, that will keep the goey spills away for a while.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergerhag View Post
If engine oil is fine when drained, don't worry about this. Oil splashes up the breather tube, and get mixed with condensation of water. Remove the tube and clean it out, that will keep the goey spills away for a while.
I went ahead and removed the tube and cleaned it out one day and took valve cover off and it looked fine. But when I changed the oil again and went riding, it started spitting more drops out about 20 minutes into it. Bike still ran great and coolant stayed the right level after re-dumping the coolant overflow bottle back into the radiators. I also drained the oil again and looked perfect, so maybe I just need to keep riding it out til it's all gone? You think maybe my head gasket is slightly leaking or crank seals?

I don't know what to think, since the bike is running really, really good. Like when I first bought it type of good

Thanks again for your help

Crankin04
Old 07-02-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergerhag View Post
Berg and Others,

Still getting more of that white spooge gunk out of my vent hose. This time it's a lot thicker and way less runny than last time. I also noticed that when I stop the bike and turn key off to take a break, then turn key on and re-start up I can get it to start but everytime I hit the e-start their's white smoke coming out of my exhaust. It goes away after it starts up just during the revolutions. Also getting lots of backfire still.

Checked coolant level after ride and it was about the same amount in Radiators looking under cap. Plus their was some that went into overflow bottle.

Are these signs of a leaking head gasket or water pump seals? Any other thoughts on this? The thick white gunk is starting to get really annoying
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spooge1.jpg (27.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg spooge2.jpg (37.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 07-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

White smoke out the pipe is not a good sign. And also the amount of gooey spills is more than normal. Are you sure the engine oil is still fine? If water was coming in to your lubrication system in any significant amount, the oil would get creamy, all of it. Pumps do a fine job mixing... How does it look on the stick?

And are you absolutely sure it is not overfilled? How much oil do did you fill on last change? Do you drain both tank and engine? (Not that I question your mechanic skills, it just that some people just don't read their manuals )
Is there any risk that you migth have gotten water into your vent hose when washing? My thinking is that there might be a combination of problems: 1: Overfilled on oil makes it splash up into the breather, and water inserted into hose makes it gooey.
2. The hard starting might very well come from a blown head gasket. If ever so little water makes it into the cylinder, starting would become very difficult.

However, the white puffs of smoke on restart is by itself a call for disassembly.(unless you are riding in very wet conditions with lots of water crossings. How is your air filter? Soaking in water?)
Old 07-03-2010, 11:39 AM

Engine oil is still fine, and the dipstick looks fine too...

I guess I could be overfilling it, but I put in a bout 1800ml (almost 2 full quarts) according to what the manual says and when I drain it I take out the frame oil stop nut and the bottom of the engine nut, if that makes sense? Am I missing a place to also drain from?

I have not done any major water crossings.

My bike isn't much of a hard start anymore, except a little more difficult when the engine is cold. Sometimes it will do the smoke and sometimes not out the exhaust?

Seems like my bike isn't very "consistent" on things, but I probably should disassemble my crankcase cover and head cover and see what's going on...

thanks for help!

Crankin04
Old 07-03-2010, 09:03 PM

my guess head gasket, mine has just gone, these signs are
Hard starting
Remove your plug it will be darker than normall.
Milly oil in back of airbox and later in engine oil
Remove rad cap looking into raditor the water will have bubbles
Remove header pipe you will have water in it, look into block though exhuast opening you will see white droplets.

These are all the signs of a blown head gasket it just starts with harder starting first and a darker looking plug then starts the white looking goo in the egine breather lines, thats the water condensation in the motor from the head gasket.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg View Post
my guess head gasket, mine has just gone, these signs are
Hard starting
Remove your plug it will be darker than normall.
Milly oil in back of airbox and later in engine oil
Remove rad cap looking into raditor the water will have bubbles
Remove header pipe you will have water in it, look into block though exhuast opening you will see white droplets.

These are all the signs of a blown head gasket it just starts with harder starting first and a darker looking plug then starts the white looking goo in the egine breather lines, thats the water condensation in the motor from the head gasket.
I don't notice any bubbles in my radiator and engine/frame oil still look fine, although it sounds like it's starting to blow since it's only getting worse with the white gunk and smoke with hard starting. Is replacing the head gasket a procedure that can be done pretty easily? Anything else I should get before replacing?

Thanks for help

Crankin04
Old 07-07-2010, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankin04 View Post
I don't notice any bubbles in my radiator and engine/frame oil still look fine, although it sounds like it's starting to blow since it's only getting worse with the white gunk and smoke with hard starting. Is replacing the head gasket a procedure that can be done pretty easily? Anything else I should get before replacing?

Thanks for help

Crankin04
I would not replaced the heat gasket until you are sure thats what it is.

its is alot easier to remove the exhuast and header pipe first, all you will need to replace is the header gasket, this takes alot less time and is also cheaper on parts. if your head is blown there will be signs of water in the exhuast outlets and your plug will look darker than normall. If there is moisture in there then its the head gasket and you have to remove the exhuast anyway.

Replacing the head gaskets is not hard you just read the manual and mark how things come out, i did mine for the first time it took about 3 hours to stripp down.

If you have no bubbles in the rads i doubt if the head gasket is blown, thats a sure sign the gasket is gone.

The other thing you can do is check is your valves its called a leak down test, you remove the exhuast header pipe and the carb/efi and pour a small amount of fuel into each of the vavle seats through the exhuast inlet and fuel inlets, make sure the valves are level so the fuel covers all around the vavles, this is a test to see if the valves are seating correctly as the fuel should not leak past the valves if it does the motor will not hold compression.
to do this you need to make sure the motors at TDC so all the valves are closed on the compression stroke.

if both of these thing are ok not sure where to go from here.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg View Post
I would not replaced the heat gasket until you are sure thats what it is.

its is alot easier to remove the exhuast and header pipe first, all you will need to replace is the header gasket, this takes alot less time and is also cheaper on parts. if your head is blown there will be signs of water in the exhuast outlets and your plug will look darker than normall. If there is moisture in there then its the head gasket and you have to remove the exhuast anyway.

Replacing the head gaskets is not hard you just read the manual and mark how things come out, i did mine for the first time it took about 3 hours to stripp down.

If you have no bubbles in the rads i doubt if the head gasket is blown, thats a sure sign the gasket is gone.

The other thing you can do is check is your valves its called a leak down test, you remove the exhuast header pipe and the carb/efi and pour a small amount of fuel into each of the vavle seats through the exhuast inlet and fuel inlets, make sure the valves are level so the fuel covers all around the vavles, this is a test to see if the valves are seating correctly as the fuel should not leak past the valves if it does the motor will not hold compression.
to do this you need to make sure the motors at TDC so all the valves are closed on the compression stroke.

if both of these thing are ok not sure where to go from here.
So your saying that the gasket could just be gone completely, instead of starting to blow with no bubbles in the radiator? What gets me is my oil when it's drained is totally fine, and it ONLY smokes on occasion and when I try and start cold. It looks like blue smoke sometimes too?

I mean how easily can a head gasket be blown? I've always kept lots of coolant in my radiators and made sure they weren't plugged up from anything. Plus I thought the gasser 4 strokes usually run cooler than others?

I have already gotten my valves check and adjusted from the shop earlier this year and they investigated my head and said it looked fine, but who knows how "well" they looked and what not. Especially since it started spooging out the white gunk the ride right after I got it back from them

Anyways I might take it in again to a different local shop and have them do some investigating since I don't have much time to look at it further. Any other thoughts let me know.

Thanks guys,

Crankin04