Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 07-13-2010, 09:31 PM

Default Questions about cylinder on '05 450

I was changing the head gasket on my '05 450 and noticed oil seeping from my base gasket, looks like I'm changing that too. Since my cylinder will be off and if my cylinder walls aren't scratched my questions are, is the cylinder coated with Nikasil? Can I get away with just installing new rings without a new piston, hone or bore? The bike has about 3000 miles on it. Trying to keep costs down.
Thank You.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalefty View Post
I was changing the head gasket on my '05 450 and noticed oil seeping from my base gasket, looks like I'm changing that too. Since my cylinder will be off and if my cylinder walls aren't scratched my questions are, is the cylinder coated with Nikasil? Can I get away with just installing new rings without a new piston, hone or bore? The bike has about 3000 miles on it. Trying to keep costs down.
Thank You.
3000miles shouldnt need rings if you have been using good oil, ive just stripped my 08 450, 6000miles and the rings bore piston is fine.

down load the manual and buy feleer guages and check the specs, then you will get some answers, there is not problem just replacing rings if the gap where the rings go in are with in spec.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg View Post
3000miles shouldnt need rings if you have been using good oil, ive just stripped my 08 450, 6000miles and the rings bore piston is fine.

down load the manual and buy feleer guages and check the specs, then you will get some answers, there is not problem just replacing rings if the gap where the rings go in are with in spec.
Thanks for the info ggg, I was trying to keep a long story short. Last year when installing my clutch basket after replacing my scorpion spring I made the mistake of not getting the oil pump idler gears teeth lined up properly which ended with a snapped idler gear and no pumping oil, I found out the hard way on a long hot technical ride. Since the idler gear has been replaced I've been having coolant loss and overheating issues and this has lead me to the head and base gasket. At this point I don't really consider this engine to have "normal" wear which is why I was asking about the Nikasil lined cylinder and ring replacement.
As a bonus, I would have to question quality control on this one. When removing the four main head bolts, I found one of the head bolts washer NOT ON THE BOLT!!! It was squeezed down by the head bolt and pinching it from the outside of the washer, since there was no room for the washer to lay flat beside the head bolt it was bent up on the side that wasn't under the bolt. When loosening the four main head bolts, the one with the washer not on was significantly easier to loosen than the other three. So far I haven't seen any indication of blow by on the head gasket and I haven't had time to get to the base gasket, I hope to see the damage there.
The washer not on the head bolt is a little disappointing because I consider GasGas to be quality built bikes and something as important as this is a pretty big mistake. Any comments on this information is greatly appreciated except for remarks about me breaking my idler gear...