Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz11 View Post
Clay,

As an example, my footpeg brackets broke on my 2002 EC 300 a couple of years ago. In all my years of motorcycling, I have never seen footpeg brackets break. I posted on this site, and learned that "they all do that."

Huh?
KX frames broke in this location all the time...

The gasgas frame was beefed up in '02 for the MC and the EC got the change in '03. Beefed up footpeg mounts and also the linkage mount on the frame.

I know it's not of much solace to you with your '02 - but the footpeg mounts are now much stronger than they were in '02.

That's one thing about GasGas - as they see problems, they do make incremental improvements from year to year to resolve them.

jeff

Old 12-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Jeff,

Thanks for the feedback. As an engineer, what bothers me most is delay in fixing a problem. That KX story is a perfect example. If you're going to base/license something as your own, you should address the flaws early in the process. The fix in 2003 meant the problem existed for at least 5 years before it was addressed.

This isn't to rag on GG. Great bikes. I'll be in the tribe a long time. But, to be competitive, you have to be better. Clay is the conduit to better, and his attention to these things says a great deal about the future of GG. I'm really impressed.

blitz
Old 12-23-2010, 06:23 PM

You really have to own a newer bike, at least an '07, and you will see the improvements compared to the '02.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:56 PM

Default 300 xc

The only thing I feel the bike should come standard with is a odo/speedo- I see the Euro models come with them. I looked at a 2011 300 xc a few wks ago and thought the bike was very well thought out....
Old 12-23-2010, 07:41 PM

I would like to see an externally adjustavle powervalve like the KTM's. I have changed the preload on my 05 300 and it can really change the power delivery. Probably doesn't qualify as a simple change.

Standardize around common wrench sizes. It amazes me the amount of different tools it takes to work on my 05.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
A little bit off of the main subject....

Guys go check out the Talon rim locks that motosport.com sells. They are awesome! I gave gasgasman my last set that I had when I sold my gasser.

Clay you are doing an awesome job! I can only imagine what you are going through on a daily basis setting this whole deal up. It is nice to know that you want to hear about our likes and dislikes about the brand so you can improve it to the best of your ability. You are to be commended for doing such a great job.

I gain nothing from this as I am on a different brand but you are representing the Gassers the best that I have ever seen in my past 5 years of owning them.

Go ahead and have that 6 pack early! Boomer thinks you have earned and deserve it!

Robby
Thanks, Robby! I appreciate it. I have confidence that we'll get you back on a Gas Gas. I went and got the 6pack early!
Clay
Old 12-24-2010, 09:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
heres what i kinda figure. i think that if we ask for things to be added to the bike itself, that will only drive the price up and some people may not even want it. some want a skidplate. i wouldnt. i can buy a skid plate and put it on and it will probably be cheaper for the company and for me. i think that in general, a bike should come with the basics and with the capability to easily add on the things that you want. imo, we shouldnt ask for things to be put on the bike from the factory, we should ask for a bigger parts selection. the easiest way for you to get what you want is to do it yourself.
Dank,
Excellent point! Thank you!
Clay
Old 12-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Everything I mentioned would be of low mfg cost and a good value to most riders. If you were an aftermarket parts engineer you would be thrilled to have some simple mounting points available so you don't have to design your own, and ultimately create a better product. Buy a new pickup truck lately? When was the last time you had to drill the frame to mount a trailer hitch? Get my point? Like I said though a bit late now anyway but food for thought.

Whatever can be done to one up KTM in value out of the crate is a good thing. The performance already does thats not a problem.

Another one: How about a US only non-auto retract sidestand bracket?

There is really very little to seriously complain about, most of these things are just loose ends.

Clay,

I'm just approaching this thread like a technical meeting at work, throw out ideas and see what sticks, so don't sweat it.
Glen,
Got it!
Thanks!
Clay
Old 12-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
The only thing I feel the bike should come standard with is a odo/speedo- I see the Euro models come with them. I looked at a 2011 300 xc a few wks ago and thought the bike was very well thought out....
Muddy,
This odo/speedo thing is driving you crazy, isn't it? I have a box of KTM odo's in my shop because I always took them off when I set my KTM up. I used an ICO when I needed an odo/computer in a race and took them off to keep from breaking them when I didn't need one. If you will go buy a bike from Scott, I will send you one off of a KTM!
Clay
Old 12-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

It seems that it would be impossible to please all. Even down to having the E start added. I agree with Dank. Bring in the stripped down models only. (aside from maybe suspension ) and work on a better hard parts Catalog. For the ones that don't like to wrench on the own bikes (I like that almost as much as riding) the trick parts that a potential customer would like could be added at the dealers. To have all this added at the factory would really slow down assemble. Which would only raise the initial cost up each bike.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175