Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:06 PM

Default New here, Hello all!

I happened upon this forum looking for information on Gasgas bikes.

I have searched the web and even searched though tons of post on this forum. I am hoping for a quick reply, as I am going to go look at a 1999 Gasgas EC200 tomorrow morning.

These are my concerns and questions, hoping this knowledgeable forum can set me straight with solid advise as to how to proceed or to run....lol

This is what I got, https://tricities.craigslist.org/mcy/5233644801.html
That is the listing for the bike, $1400, I talked down to $1000.

It comes with an extra motor that he said needs a piston, and other extra parts.

What I am concerned about is parts! I have searched for better part of today for parts for this bike and can't seem to find anything other than brake pads and some maintenance items, which is good. But what about engine rebuild, it is 16 years old, so at some time it will need a new top end or even a bottom end.

Suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated. Never heard of Gasgas till this morning, they look solid. But the company going into financial default is a worry also, for future parts!

Thanks

Old 09-23-2015, 07:19 PM

Just want to add, I have seen loads of places to get parts for NEWER gasser's. But I am more focused on the 1999 one that I am looking at. I have seen some post on interchanges, but didn't see anything in them about the motor interchanges, ie....pistons, cranks and such other than cr250 crank will work in the 250, but will it work in a 200?

Sorry for the newbie questions, I have read as much as I can today. Literally looked at post after post and I have tried to research before asking.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2015, 08:17 PM

Try Halls Cycles in Michigan
Old 09-23-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95jersey View Post
Try Halls Cycles in Michigan
I'll give them a call in the morning. I seen one online but it was in IL not MI, is there a difference?

Any thoughts on the bike in question?

Thanks
Old 09-23-2015, 09:01 PM

Halls is in IL. they are the parts place helpful and knowledgeable. I would not worry about parts. the gasgas motors are I believe are the same until at least 06 or beyond. If the bike is in good shape it is a decent deal not great but decent.

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280
Old 09-23-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bravo View Post
Just want to add, I have seen loads of places to get parts for NEWER gasser's. But I am more focused on the 1999 one that I am looking at. I have seen some post on interchanges, but didn't see anything in them about the motor interchanges, ie....pistons, cranks and such other than cr250 crank will work in the 250, but will it work in a 200?

Sorry for the newbie questions, I have read as much as I can today. Literally looked at post after post and I have tried to research before asking.

Thanks
I'm pretty sure that the crank rod is the same on the 200, 250, and 300. Big end is pinned a little closer to center thereby reducing the stroke on a 200 but the connecting rod and bearings (the parts in a rebuild kit) should be the same. In fact the interchangeability of parts on different years is very, very, good. Some of the more common wear exceptions are brakes and wheel bearings. Your bike should have Brembo brakes front and back which came stock on bikes in 99 but later they switched to Nissan. Front wheel bearings are the same until GG went with a larger diameter axle sometime after 2001. One rear wheel bearing and the spacer on the same side changed after 2001 as well. The 200 is pretty much the same bike as the 250 and 300 except that they didn't come with an intake spacer that some 300s come with, 200 has no counterbalance weight on the right end of the crank, and the gear on the clutch hub is slightly different. Be wary of any front sprocket you see for for sale on ebay less than $20 because it probably only fits the 125 gasser. Rear sprockets interchange (all models and years of the woods bikes) and are the same that Husky used from the late 90s until KTM took them over.

Last edited by gasser; 09-25-2015 at 02:33 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbutler View Post
Halls is in IL. they are the parts place helpful and knowledgeable. I would not worry about parts. the gasgas motors are I believe are the same until at least 06 or beyond. If the bike is in good shape it is a decent deal not great but decent.
Thanks, I know newbies get old on these forums. So maybe I will be a productive member once I pick it up in the morning. I like the looks of the bike. It seems to be adult owned, right now. Who knows about before this guy.

I have read some really good reviews about these bikes. So I hope for many years of good reliable use.

Thanks again for the patients in dealing with a newbie!
Old 09-23-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
I'm pretty sure that the crank rod is the same on the 200, 250, and 300. Big end is pinned a little closer to center thereby reducing the stroke on a 200 but the connecting rod and bearings (the parts in a rebuild kit) should be the same. In fact the interchangeability of parts on different years is very, very, good. Some of the more common wear exceptions are brakes and wheel bearings. Your bike should have magura brakes front and back which came stock on bikes in 99 but later they switched to Nissan. Front wheel bearings are the same until GG went with a larger diameter axle sometime after 2001. One rear wheel bearing and the spacer on the same side changed after 2001 as well. The 200 is pretty much the same bike as the 250 and 300 except that they didn't come with an intake spacer that some 300s come with, 200 has no counterbalance weight on the right end of the crank, and the gear on the clutch hub is slightly different. Be wary of any front sprocket you see for for sale on ebay less than $20 because it probably only fits the 125 gasser. Rear sprockets interchange (all models and years of the woods bikes) and are the same that Husky used from the late 90s until KTM took them over.
Thanks, it's post like this that eases my mind about buying a 16 year old bike. Parts break and nothing is worse than waiting months for a replacement. Knowing that I can get other options even if it doesn't say 1999 EC200 is nice. I think I am going to pull the trigger, if the bike is in the condition the phone shows and the owner say's it is in. Fingers crossed, I will post pictures and more details once/if I get it.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:09 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I'm a noob too, both to GasGas and this forum. I just bought a '01 XC200 that was listed as similiar to your '99.

Once I got it home and set it up on a workstand so I could look it over better, I found that just about everything that you might need to replace on a dirt bike, sooner or later, needed replacing on my bike. The good news is, I've been able to find everything it needed on line and often at very good prices.

As an fyi, if you find that you need a right rear wheel spacer, I've got a new one that doesn't fit my '01. Your '99 takes a slightly longer one on the right side, as someone pointed out in a earlier post.

Another parts source that I used after failing to find something I needed in the US is Greenland MX in Spain. They had what I needed, with good prices and fast shipping. I'll use them again, if needed.

Good luck with your new to you bike.

RB
Old 09-24-2015, 10:32 AM

I just got it home. What I am confused about is the frame. 1999's had a grey frame from the research I have looked up. This one is nickle, shiney! So, now I wonder if it is a newer frame with a 99' motor.

How can I ID the motor? Wait, nevermind, I will start a new thread and post pictures and more detailed stuff there.

Thanks