Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2009, 11:19 AM

Default GG 515 vs KTM 520/525/530 for combo DS and ST

Heck, even throw in the KTM 505, if you want.

At some point down the road I'll have to decide on a new bike. I'm an Arizona desert single-track person. I don't do wide-open "desert" as most of you know it. Our single track is tight and rocky. As well, an Arizona dual sport ride is mostly trail. Get more than a couple hundred yards of pavement in the loop and people begin to whine. Some have taken to calling it "cruel sport." One more thing, in Arizona it is possible to dual sport just about anything. All we need is a light a horn, and insurance. My EC250 is street-licensed.

With those caveats in mind, if I were to start dual sporting for real, I have the usual option of keeping a 2T single track bike and buy something like a big XR for dual sport. But I don't have the room, the money, or the inclination to keep and maintain two bikes.

I am considering getting a big-bore 4T for the purpose of both a ST and a DS bike. I'm reasonably familiar with the differences in the KTM line of 5-series bikes. Their motors are quite different. How does the GG515 stack up in comparison?