Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:02 AM

Impeller bolt threads are right hand M5, nothing strange.

The seal is very unique to an MC. Its in three parts. Consult page 10 of the '07 parts manual (same parts as '05). Pay close attention when taking things apart. Its actually eaiser and less damage prone than a normal seal. The part on the shaft is sealed with a tight fitting rubber cup (that doesn't move on the shaft), and has a spring loaded graphite ring. The other half has a ceramic ring and is pressed in the side cover over the bearing. The seal is accomplished by this graphite/ceramic interface that is very low friction and under spring tension. Also, when the system coolant pressure rises with temperature, the sealing force will rise as well. Nice design, no grooved shafts, and never wears out. I doubt your seal is bad, unless the bearing is bad and the shaft is not running true.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:04 AM

Question Hmmmmm...

I removed the cover and impeller.

The seal did have some whitish oil on it.

After I changed the oil, I did go for a very short 5 or 6 min. ride and I noticed no change in the oil colour in the site glass.

When I drained the coolant, it was clear, with no oil contamination. The coolant level was just a tad low in the radiator when I checked it after draining all that milkey white oil.

Where can I get a good shop manual for an 05 GG EC 250 ? Would Gofasters have one ? I have the little one that I got with the bike, but its all in michro writing and not very detailed.

I dont even want to THINK about changing that bearing. Therre should be no reason for that bearing to be bad or the shaft to be bent. I have never ridden in such a manner as to cause any of those types of problems. Would the cases need to be split if I needed to change that bearing ?

Last edited by FFRDave; 10-30-2007 at 09:11 AM. Reason: incomplete
Old 10-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Try here:

http://www.gasgasmotos.es/rcs/manual...r05_ec_eng.zip
Old 10-30-2007, 11:29 AM

Everything is contained in and replacable from the side cover. Pull the cover off the bike and take it to the bench. If there is coolant in the oil, its also possible that its from a gasket leak. Two coolant passages go right through the cases and side cover to the pump. Check the bolts. Its obvious how it works once you take it apart.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:03 PM

Red face I think I will do the top end too.

It may just be the head gasket leaking. I ordered a new WP seal and I will install a new one (weather it needs one or not), and look at that bearing.

The bike probably could use a new top end. I run a ton of RPM in the sand. I have had the bike now for over a year and never changed top ends. I noticed that it was eating a lot (a lot) more gas than usual on my last ride. I bet the compression is lower too.
I noticed with two strokes that they seem to run dramaticaly better just before they 'let go'. GG is running better than ever and shes eating a full tank in just three hours of riding (it used to take twice that time in the same conditions). The break-in ride was a gas eater too.

Those top end O-rings will get swapped along with the top end.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

ok , to get this all straight , to replace the impeller with an alloy one, all i will need for parts are the impeller and a cover gasket?
Thz , Steve

Out on the Trails on Vancouver Island , BC

Steve
Old 12-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I too have milky tranny fluid!(grayish) checked the coolant level and it was low so I am thinking water pump seal. I see people discuss the vent tube from the power valve as a culprit but I can't see how water entering the top-end can get into the bottom end unless there is a vent tube for the tranny.
Can anyone shed more light on the "ports" between the side and center case where coolant could leak. Is this just a matter of a gasket gone bad or is it more envolved than that? I know I have lots of questions but I just want to buy all the stuff needed and get this fixed the 1st time. Any advice would be great!
Old 12-21-2008, 12:05 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodat View Post
I too have milky tranny fluid!(grayish) checked the coolant level and it was low so I am thinking water pump seal. I see people discuss the vent tube from the power valve as a culprit but I can't see how water entering the top-end can get into the bottom end unless there is a vent tube for the tranny.
Can anyone shed more light on the "ports" between the side and center case where coolant could leak. Is this just a matter of a gasket gone bad or is it more envolved than that? I know I have lots of questions but I just want to buy all the stuff needed and get this fixed the 1st time. Any advice would be great!
The transmission vents up into the power valve chamber on the right hand side cover.
I had the same milky oil problem last month after a very wet ride. I never deep sixed the bike but just alot of standing water in the trail. I removed the seal and could not find any problem. My only concluesion was that water could be drawing in up the vent hose during the combustion cycle which is causing a vacuum on the vent hose. I have since installed a longer vent hose and rerouted up higher by the steering stem and have not had the problem since. The hard part was trying to get all the moisture out of the tranny. I flushed it out with kerosene and drained and refilled after 2 more rides before it became clean again.