Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 02-13-2011, 06:47 PM

Default 2010 EC300 1st ride!

I went on my first ride today at a friends sand track I am familiar with.

HANDLING: I can't get over how good the bike handles. The steering feels like it has ESP, by that I mean if you even *think* about going in a certain direction the bike responds and just goes there. The bike tracked ruts well, cornered like it was on rails, and was very easy to throw from side to side. It soaked up all whoops, bumps, square edges table top and single jumps. The largest jump was 6 feet high, so no supercross stuff.

I don't know why people complain about the valving, I adjusted the free sag to 30mm, kept the fork and shock clicker setting as delivered. I eventually went two clicks in/stiffer on the rear low speed compression as I was slightly bottoming over the largest jump landing. I thought the valving was great, the bike was very stable, went and stayed where you put it.

MOTOR: I can't get over how good the motor runs! I did tweak the needle and jetting a bit as the weather was cool. In the rainy mode where I rode it most of the day I found the motor strong off the bottom, transitioning to a strong mid pull with a broad surge of power from the mid to top. I mostly rode the sand track in 3rd and 4th gear. The power was very easy to control in this setting. In the sunny setting, it seemed the bike barked into the mid very quickly and was a little more tiring to hold onto, so I just rode in the rainy mode. I didn't hear any clutch squeal, the dealer installed Repsol engine oil on the showroom floor. Very happy with it.

SPECS: This is how I set up the bike for today:
Fast C/SlowB rider 185 lbs.

Sag: 30mm free sag, didn't check the race sag. Bike has a 5.2kg/mm spring on it stock
Clickers: All stock except for +2 in on rear low speed compression
Tires: 15psi on the Michelin FIM's

Jetting: 40 pilot, N3HG needle on the middle clip, 178 main jet, one turn out on the air screw, Repsol 2T Sintetico premixed at 43:1, NGK BR8EG spark plug. No spooge at the end of the ride, only a dark brown dry circle around the exhaust exit.

I am at sea level, 60*F temp, dry cool air. Well, that is cool for us here in Florida.

No regrets at all coming from a KTM 450XC, I feel that I can ride this GG300 faster and more accurately than I ever could the 450, and I didn't get nearly as tired.

I will still experiment with the jetting and have a few needles on the way so I will update as I plug and play. The dealer gave me a handful of needles, the N3HG was in the stack along with a CHN. I tried the N1EF as delivered on the 1st clip but it blubbered a bit on the bottom. The "G" diameter at 2.715mm is .05mm narrower than the "F" diameter, cleaning up the very bottom. No four stroking, no blubber. Plug is still chocolate brown.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Me too

Just got a 2010 300 coming from a Beta 450 (a red ktm).

I am very very happy as well. Still making adjustments but so so happy.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:33 AM

Congrats to both you guys! Good ride report Bailey. Kinda how I felt except for a little harsh on the front over hard stuff. My son will be sending out the suspension tomorrow to have that cured. Enjoy.