Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:05 AM

Default Why do oversized PV covers do what they do?

People are changing their power delivery using the oversized covers. Better low end I believe is the goal.

The action of the rotary valves that (I think) port the exhaust over into the PV cover(s) is kind of hidden, and I'm trying to understand the how and why.

When is the PV chamber in use? High revs or low?

My crude understanding is that the PV chamber volume is used sort of like stretching the exhaust like a trombone. But I could be way off and I still don't quite get the timing, etc.

Anybody want to take a crack at explaining it?

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by motogroove; 07-20-2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: trying to make my question understandable...

Old 07-20-2011, 09:08 AM

They work to boost bottom end response by increasing the resonating volume of the exhaust, I think?. They are only in effect when the PV is closed, when the PV opens at higher revs that area is blocked so no longer effects. It gives the bonus of adding length to the pipe for bottom end advantages with out the disadvantages of a longer pipe, which is obviously harder to make fit on the bike.

Someone else will have to chime in on the mechanics of it, I havent covered that part of my degree yet
Old 07-20-2011, 09:45 AM

Thats basically it. The left side drum valve in the PV is like a two position valve. At lower RPM, the exhaust sub port is open to the chamber formed by the cyl and PV cover. At higher RPM, the drum rotates and closes off this chamber as it opens directly to the main port/header.

The PV cover has more effect on the 200s and 250s than the 300s, and also more effect if you are running a mid to top end orientated pipe. I like how it works on a newer 250. With this, a head mod, and good jetting, it will pull from a crawl at idle to a screaming top end. An older 300 with an old Gnarly pipe will not benefit or need a high volume PV cover.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Ya...what they said.

I have one on my 2010 300. I tried it with and without and I think it does have a positive effect at really low rpms. The bike doesn't stall as much and pulls real hard from a almost dead engine. Great for tight S/T, logs and stuff.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 07-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

OK, thanks for those explanations, I understand what you are saying but I have a question. I have been wondering why the actual volume of that left chamber is so important, and why the increase in volume gained by the addition of the larger PV cover has the effect that it does. I have made a 10mm spacer, and found it made no difference. The aftermarket covers all seem to be about 20mm. What's the significance of this volume and why don't the engine designers get it "right"? How did they come up with the volume that they did?
Old 07-21-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchatt View Post
OK, thanks for those explanations, I understand what you are saying but I have a question. I have been wondering why the actual volume of that left chamber is so important, and why the increase in volume gained by the addition of the larger PV cover has the effect that it does. I have made a 10mm spacer, and found it made no difference. The aftermarket covers all seem to be about 20mm. What's the significance of this volume and why don't the engine designers get it "right"? How did they come up with the volume that they did?
When you say how don't they get it right, any design is at best a compromise. We all ride with different styles over different terrain with differing levels of ability. The factory set up is a good starting point, most who know how to ride, set their bikes up to suit their own needs.
I wanted more bottom end tractor like power, so added a large volume PV cover, and reduced the base gasket thickness and jetted to suit. The bike is now awesome off bottom and no slouch at wide open throttle. My mate with a KTM 300 wishes his bike pulled like mine off bottom.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

My question was of a more technical nature - I am interested in the theory behind the chamber and its (specific) volume.
As for " all designs are a compromise" - I don't see a compromise with having more power down low, at no expense to the rest of the rev range, after all that's what exhuast valves are all about! Simply put, if for example the LTR cover is so much better, why didn't the engine designer come up with it? I'm not bagging, I'm just wondering about the design process.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchatt View Post
why didn't the engine designer come up with it?
It's all about the mighty dollar.
Adding all the goodies will drive the bike prices too high.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:54 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I'll risk pooing on internet knowledge

The chamber is open at low RPM as that is where the pipe is out of phase with the engine speed. On a conventional engine the returning waves are disruptive off freq as they are returning too early on a wide open port. The chamber open disrupts these returning waves. Typically a chamber size somewhere near the cylinder volume will work well enough but isn't critical.

Of course it would cost GG $0.2c to make bigger covers & I doubt they would make the same mistake year after year.

Most reports are anecdotal & involve other changes.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:57 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I have the same questions as Bchatt having read some power valve cover threads.At what point does the volume have 0 gains,or negative effect?
The cost at manufacture is not even worth discussing,so why not put a bigger cover on?Or is their a compromise somewhere?Just curious.
I have a larger cover I had on a 2002 but have never tried it on my 2010.