Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Announcements

Enduro Product Announcements Announce new gasgas enduro products here - Vendors Welcome...

Old 08-17-2006, 11:08 PM

I looked again and it's custom. I have an aluminum bar (3/4 of a rectangle outlining the radiator) bolted to the frame down tube, then another bar bolts to the brace and runs back on the frame. I'll post pics on Saturday maybe. It's definitely sturdy.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:35 AM

Hi,

Could one of you with the GP Rad Braces please post a pic of the unit, or provide some dimensions of it? I'd like to see if it would work *with* my existing billet guards.

Added strength would be good.

I despise the little held-nut mechanism for the lower shroud mount.

Specifically:
1) How long are the male threads which attach to the frame (since the billet guards are quite thick in that area)?
2) How do you screw the braces in in the first place? Is there a flat which you can grab with a wrench?
3) How long is the tubular part of the brace?

Regards.

Dale
Old 08-18-2006, 10:23 PM

Thumbs up radiator guards

Both Gmp and Erik are on to something here! I have been thinking on the same lines. I have a gas gas '05 fse 450 and added a 2.8 gal. gas tank. The Clark tank came with good strong metal shroud screw inserts imbedded in the tanks plastic. Remedied the shroud screws pulling out. But my plastic shrouds do stick out too far with the larger tank. I ordered and installed the LTR gp braces for the bottom of my radiators and was told that I didn't have the right model bike to accept the gp's on top. But I figured I could just cut the tit down a bit on each shroud and was wondering how to tie it all together. I like the idea of a rubber bumper, and drilling and bolting shroud to radiator. Could u guys be more specific and maybe post some pics? Thanks, Bob
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1

Last edited by flybars; 08-31-2006 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2w
Hi

Could one of you with the GP Rad Braces please post a pic of the unit, or provide some dimensions of it? I'd like to see if it would work *with* my existing billet guards.

Added strength would be good.

I despise the little held-nut mechanism for the lower shroud mount.

Specifically:
1) How long are the male threads which attach to the frame (since the billet guards are quite thick in that area)?
2) How do you screw the braces in in the first place? Is there a flat which you can grab with a wrench?
3) How long is the tubular part of the brace?

Regards.

Dale
1) 0.80-0.82 inches for the modified CRD brace set up I run, which does not have any added metal part on the inside. You would need to add the the thickness of the guard mount to the thread length.
2) Since I run the stock louvers, I just use pliers on the rounded part, since I can access it in front of the radiator. If you run a radiator guard, then it gets more challenging.
3) 4.90 inches long provides minimal clearance between the brace and the radiator. I now use GP braces that are 5.10 inches to provide more clearance between my modified CRD brace and the radiator to provide a bit more room for brace deformation/deflection on impact. You would need to shorten these lengths correspondingly by the thickness of the inner guard mount, since it offsets the brace out.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:56 AM

Here is a photo of the upper shroud mount.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shroud_mt_in50.jpg (19.7 KB, 107 views)
Old 08-22-2006, 06:12 PM

Default Billet radiator guards

Thanks for the pic GMP. Do u think the flatlands for the 2t's will bolt right up to the '05fse450? In my area I need to go with your setup.
thanks, Bob
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 08-22-2006, 07:31 PM

Not sure, never had a look at an FSE in detail. Find someone who has had both an EC/XC/DE and an FSE. Perhaps Jim Cook, he has had both and also sold Flatland guards.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
They do look nice but forget about bling for a minute. What do you see that makes these potentially inferior to the flatland guard? No tie back to the head stay, no side coverage, and judging by the hole placement they sit much closer to the radiators, which hurts airflow and provides less room for front impact damage.

For less than $100 you get a set of Flatlands, add TWO sets of GP braces for $60, adding an upper shroud mount.

For less $$ this is the most bulletproof radiator protection setup you can get. I crashed hard enough last week to flex the right shroud to the point of breaking the brake fluid resevoir. The side of the Flatland guard was bent toward the rad only about 3mm in the center between the GP braces, they did their job. The shroud was fine, the rubber isolator I use for the upper mount separated and was eaisly and cheaply replaced.
Here is a good thread to address your side impact concerns.

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=192810
Old 10-16-2006, 01:07 PM

This post is a little biased because I build the BPD rad guards. The reason I started building them is because I crushed all the stamped guards.

I don't need a tie back to the head stay. My guards are cut from solid billet. They don't flex or bend. I have tested them for 5 years. I have yet to have a side impact failure.

As for airflow. My guards will dissipate the heat off the radiator and flow much more air then a flatland guard. I don't have any bracing that runs behind the radiators. This bracing only reduces airflow and makes your installs and maintenance more time consuming and tests your patience.

I also offer the best customer service out there. If you don't like my product I will give you a refund. NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

If you still have questions or concerns check out my testimonials page on my web site: www.bulletproofdesigns.com

Thanks,
Nate Scott
816-695-3784