Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
If that's what it takes.
Yikes! I've never had the slightest problem with my 2011 B frame.The thumper motor on the F is going weigh more than a 2 stroke.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar

Last edited by Moto7man; 11-18-2014 at 09:37 AM. Reason: addition

Old 11-18-2014, 03:55 AM

I had it welded by a friend who is an expert welder so I would think it is better now than when it was new. I live in Sweden and use it for typical Swedish enduro.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:28 AM

Default Broken Frames

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnilrub View Post
The frame on my 2012 EC250f broke while riding regular enduro without any major crashes. This was not a problem with Gasgas that I had heard of before. When I told other Gasgas owners about it I found out it wasn't that unusual. A buddy of mine had his 2014 EC300R broken after only about 30 hours (mine had 120). I spoke to a guy at the Swedish gasgas importer and he told me that sort of thing had only happened to pro-riders and was nothing I should worry about. When I told him that it has happened to my bike with the B-shape frame and a buddy with the new 2014 frame he had no comments about it. I know a Swedish pro that has done some MX with his EC300R and his frame broke and caused a major crash. Is this something you guys have experienced? I am in the market for a new bike and have always had gasgas with the exception for an orange 350 during a short period. I will probably buy a new GG but this frame problem is something that doesn't feel right.
I have a 2012 EC250R and have broke the frame in (3) three places. 1. The right lower frame just forward of the bottom motor mount. 2. The left bottom lower motor mount. 3. And just last week the upper tube just below the top triple clamp. 360 degrees around. I moto for practice and compete in enduros. I'm a 50+A rider. Last enduro was the 2017 Idaho City 100.

We ride Arizona desert that can get pretty rocky. Now I'm chasing too many welds, so looks like I need a new frame. Based off what you have said and what I have experienced, this may be a problem for that year? Not sure...
Old 11-17-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_C View Post
I have a 2012 EC250R and have broke the frame in (3) three places. 1. The right lower frame just forward of the bottom motor mount. 2. The left bottom lower motor mount. 3. And just last week the upper tube just below the top triple clamp. 360 degrees around. I moto for practice and compete in enduros. I'm a 50+A rider. Last enduro was the 2017 Idaho City 100.

We ride Arizona desert that can get pretty rocky. Now I'm chasing too many welds, so looks like I need a new frame. Based off what you have said and what I have experienced, this may be a problem for that year? Not sure...
Hey Jim, Sorry about the frame. Can you post up some pics? It may be a good idea to have the frame welded up again, as you can probably be back on the bike in a short amount of time, and you could keep looking for a used frame on Ebay and here on the site. I might look at talking to someone who fabricates/repairs off-road vehicles, as they may have more knowledge on treating this type of damage.

Either way you go, I would make sure all of the bolts on the engine mounts are torqued to spec and double check these from time to time. If the motor is vibrating in the mounts, this could cause the welds to cold work themselves. Not saying this is what happened, but always a possibility.

Does anyone know if a 2013 frame could be swapped for Jim's 2012 frame? It seems that the shock and linkage are perhaps the only thing that changed between 12-13. Not sure if this would work, but it may expand options for purchasing a replacement frame.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob 'Berg View Post
Does anyone know if a 2013 frame could be swapped for Jim's 2012 frame? It seems that the shock and linkage are perhaps the only thing that changed between 12-13. Not sure if this would work, but it may expand options for purchasing a replacement frame.
Would have to check the parts fiche. The 2013 frame is different though, as is the linkage. I think the 13 dropped back to a smaller tank again, but not sure if the tank/seat interface would be any different between the two.

I'm sure I remember another thread where someone had issues with the lower engine mounts.

Edit: Found the thread - http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22047
Old 11-20-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob 'Berg View Post
Hey Jim, Sorry about the frame. Can you post up some pics? It may be a good idea to have the frame welded up again, as you can probably be back on the bike in a short amount of time, and you could keep looking for a used frame on Ebay and here on the site. I might look at talking to someone who fabricates/repairs off-road vehicles, as they may have more knowledge on treating this type of damage.

Either way you go, I would make sure all of the bolts on the engine mounts are torqued to spec and double check these from time to time. If the motor is vibrating in the mounts, this could cause the welds to cold work themselves. Not saying this is what happened, but always a possibility.

I think the third break was trying to keep up with you two Sundays ago... I'm not sure about welding it again at this point, I would hate to have a major break out in the desert.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Would have to check the parts fiche. The 2013 frame is different though, as is the linkage. I think the 13 dropped back to a smaller tank again, but not sure if the tank/seat interface would be any different between the two.

I'm sure I remember another thread where someone had issues with the lower engine mounts.

Edit: Found the thread - http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22047
Part number for the 2012- BE10000013012
Part number for the 2013- BE10000013013

Part numbers for 2011 and 2014 are much different. Looks like the only difference between the 2012 and 2013 might be just the steering lock. I don't see much else?

I have found both a 2013 and a 2012 just waiting for the pictures and price. 250 and 300 part numbers are the same.

I just keep thinking after (3) breaks I will loose too much of the strength integrity and alignment if I weld it up again...
Old 11-20-2017, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_C View Post
Part number for the 2012- BE10000013012
Part number for the 2013- BE10000013013

Part numbers for 2011 and 2014 are much different. Looks like the only difference between the 2012 and 2013 might be just the steering lock. I don't see much else?

I have found both a 2013 and a 2012 just waiting for the pictures and price. 250 and 300 part numbers are the same.

I just keep thinking after (3) breaks I will loose too much of the strength integrity and alignment if I weld it up again...
There are some differences in the lower frame/linkage area I believe as well. The following links show the 2 different 2013 frames. The E start model is the same frame as the 2012 model I think.

2013 E-start model: http://www.gasgasaustralia.com.au/en...0-e/frame-c132
2013 Racing model: http://www.gasgasaustralia.com.au/en...ing/frame-c162

Cross referencing the part numbers though shows both 2013 models as BE10000013013. This is clearly incorrect. The images show differences in both the linkage attachment and also the adjustable footpeg mounts. The 2014 frame then has changes in several other places to cut weight, and also has the adjustable peg mounts.

Having my 2013 side by side with a 2015 the 15 looked to be more compact (shorter possibly) by naked eye. Never took the time to measure them though. Mine is the racing model.