Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-25-2022, 12:58 PM

Default How much better are new bikes vs old?

Hi all,

Like the title says, how much better are new bikes compared to older models? I'm really on the fence of either reconditioning my bike (2005 EC250), or just buying a newer model.

My gut feeling is besides the bells and whistles like electric start, fuel injection, updated plastics; that there really not THAT much better. But I really don't know.

For example, lets say a stock, properly sprung and running 2005 EC250 vs 2020 EC250. Is it night and day difference?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 04-25-2022, 03:32 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

suspension will be the biggest upgrade related to time, but the good suspension is specific to years and models
Old 04-25-2022, 08:01 PM

But suspension can be "fixed" at the fraction of the cost of a new bike and new bikes are taller than the older GasGas.... Just food for thought🤔

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280
Old 04-26-2022, 06:01 AM

I ride/have ridden lots of new and older bikes back to back. GasGas (pre and post-KTM) KTM, Husqvarna, Sherco, Beta, and most of the Japanese offerings.

IMO, the newest 2T bikes are not vastly superior to most bikes made after the mid-2000's. Ergonomics, power delivery, and suspension are a just little better but not enough to make a big difference unless you're an A rider/Pro.

I still ride and race an old '98 Kawasaki KDX220. The ergonomics and power are just fine for me. All I did to keep it competitive was to upgrade the forks (along with other common mods) to some 47mm Showa twin chamber forks from an '06 KX250f. I do just fine in the B class and can hang with a lot of faster guys when we get in the tight and nasty stuff.

My '11 GasGas EC250R feels as good to me as any of the newer bikes. I demoed the '19 GasGas EC250, at a race where I was racing my '11 and it was even sprung for my weight, and it was an awesome bike but it really wasn't, IMO, any better and I didn't like the extra seat height and the power felt weaker than my '11.

Now, that said, it is always nice to have a nice brand new bike!
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 04-26-2022, 03:35 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbutler View Post
But suspension can be "fixed" at the fraction of the cost of a new bike and new bikes are taller than the older GasGas.... Just food for thought🤔
very true, and there are lots of threads about fork conversions.

I also agree with ss109. this was the exact reason why i kept my 2010 so long. Every time i rode it i loved it. Couldn't get the forks to work the way i wanted but everything else was perfect for me so i did a kyb conversion. I only ended up selling it because i wasn't using it when i moved to NZ and was a bit dissapointed with the riding here (you cannot compare free riding in Swaziland with anywhere) but i regret it now, so am looking for a 2018 GG now because i want the kyb platform, don't want to go through the whole conversion again
Old 04-26-2022, 08:20 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Well a new GG will be a KTM.

Most every 2005 bike will be worn out in many subtle and not so subtle ways.

Bear in mind I run an 07. But I've replaced carb, front caliper, master cylinder and forks with either almost new 2nd hand or new parts. I still love it but just throwing in a new piston kit does not recondition the whole bike.

I kept it as the newer bikes got too tall for me. I rode my mates 16 in the weekend. Starting to feel tired. Yes it can be fixed but many won't.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 04-27-2022, 05:18 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

In our riding group we have eight GG bikes from 1998 to 2004 they are stone ax reliable, they make good power and handle well for our purposes of trail riding and a few enduros. Pretty much all parts that wear out are available new or used or those parts can be rebuilt. GG did a great job of making many parts backward compatible.

All dirtbikes (new or old) wear and need work and repair over time.

The new bikes are lighter and the KYB suspension is/was better. KTM makes a nice bike and it is better suited for larger riders. The older GG bikes were better suited for smaller riders in stock form. I am 6'4" 235lbs and i ride a 2000 GG XC300 with a 327 big bore kit. I put on a tall seat, lower pegs, and moved the handle bars up and forward. I changed the front end to a KYB SSS from a 2008 YZ450F. I resprung it and revalved it for my weight and riding style. It works very well for me and my riding style.

A few years ago I switched bikes with a friend of mine and rode his (new at the time) 2019 XC 300 KTM for a couple hours in some hare scramble terrain. The KTM was a nice bike, made good power, rode well and it had crazy brakes that honestly were a bit too aggressive for my taste but they sure stopped the bike in a hurry! I rode the bike long enough over the same trail to get comfortable on the KTM and I came away with the impression it was a nice bike and I enjoyed riding it. Truth be told I think the KTM fit my larger body better than my GG as it had a larger cockpit for the rider.

When I got back on my old GG I continued to ride the same trail and after a while I came to the conclusion I preferred my older GG. I did not notice much difference one way or another in my speed through the course on either bike. To be fair the KTM was not set up for my weight as I outweigh my friend by 35lbs.

Once you buy a new bike you need to break out the wallet again to add bark busters, skid plates, retune it, revalve and respring the suspension etc to make it fit your needs. That will easily add another $1k to the high cost of an already expensive new bike.

At the end of the day most riders will dial in the bike they have for their needs. I guess it depends on how much work and cash it will take to get you on a bike that suites your needs.