Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stay_upright View Post
A professional racer recommended coming into the corner, lock the rear and part way round get on the gas to continue the slide - i.e. rear wheel steering. An interesting point he made is the front wheel has a lot less to do and while the rear sliding is fine sliding the front puts you on the floor - I never thought of it like that.

We did a few practices and I did quite well (in our group) I would say as my balance is quite good at this sort of feet up braking / power on stuff. I'd never really considered it for races though - more for show, I guess I'll have to get practicing! There is a race near me - next spring now which is purely tight woods corners and I always wondered why I was slow!

One thing about it, I have never been on a bike that slides through a turn better than a GG!!! One of the things I love about it.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:59 PM

+1 I agree that Gasser slide great.

2005 GasGas EC300 (Ohlins front and rear)
2007 Yamaha FZ1
2003 Pampera 280(hers)
Old 07-21-2009, 01:09 PM

>Loosenut revealed:

>Brake slide to power slide. I do this alot.

I'll vouch for that, all right. He does this a LOT.

>When it's dry, slick and dusty, the bike is gonna slide unless you
>ride sedate.

How would you know that, Mike? Did you read it in a book or something? "Sedate" is NOT a word that comes up often when discussing your riding tyle.

>I find this technique very usefull, but you gotta practice all the time
>because conditions change and you gotta be able to adjust.

Plus, it gives you an excuse to do it even more!

>I can generally do feet up brake slides to about 75 degrees and then
>finish up with the clutch and throttle. Every so often I lowside, but
>I'm going so slow by the time the bike goes down, I am ready and I
>pick it right up and continue on.
But some of the near-misses are EPIC, eh Mike?
Seriously, if any of y'all have a chance to ride with our esteemed colleague Loosenut, jump on it. He's about as fun to ride with as anyone I've ever turned a wheel with. The challenge is staying close enough to enjoy the show.

Tim H
Old 07-15-2010, 12:48 PM

Just an experience i thought i would share with you.
At the weekend I was out on a local field where i can practice. After about an hour my rear brake pedal broke on me (cheap diecast)

I thought about packing up. Instead i thought no i read somewhere or watched a video where Shane Watts had been riding and he had no brakes front or rear but was still fast.
Anyway I carryed on riding, Normally i would brake with both front and rear up on the pegs and just as i hit the apex of the corner i drop down onto the front of my bike let of the front brake, put more effort on the rear to slide into the corner then holding the rear brake and accelerating controling with the rear brake, when almost clear of the corner let the brake off and power away.

As i had no rear brake i approached differently. Up on the pegs braking with just the front, again dropping down onto the front of the bike but keeping the front brake on albeit less force, then slip clutch squirt of power to flick the bike around still keeping some force on the front brake.

I did not feel 100 percent confident doing this at first but after a few laps it felt quite good and still fast. I dont think it was "as" fast but it was good practice especially when the front suddenly locks up and you need to let off and back on. Also working out how much power to give it when trying to flick the rear around.

May be worth trying sometime It is suprising how much force you can put on the front wheel before it breaks traction.
FMF Gnarly
Old 07-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Amen Skid.
I hate it when people roost the top of whoops.

Anyway. I rarely brake slide, a sliding tire has less braking potential than one that is spinning slowly.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:33 PM

Interesting commentaries on braking. I rarely use my rear brakes for anything but super steep descents. Call me crazy! or stupid. I use the front brake to plant the front going into a tight turn, sometimes unloading the rear allowing the rear tire to keep turning, as I shift my body allowing the tail end to effectively slide around, and roll on the gas leaving the turn. All the while feathering the clutch, to minimize overspin. Whether my technique is wrong...I don't know. It works well for me. I do know, most of the riders I see in the woods don't utilize their front brakes enough.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:10 PM

If you watch the pros- they've done all (or almost all of) their braking before they enter the corner.
Then they use whatever conditions are in the corner to accelerate thru it-
If there's a rut, or berm, they lean into it, or blast off of it . If it's flat, they powerslide around the corner. Sometimes they use the base of a big tree or rock as a berm. It follows that old saying about corners- slow in, fast out.
The faster you exit the corner, the faster your straightaway speed will be. 80-90% of time is made up in corners.
They key is getting good enough to really use what's there. Fast MX riders have these innate skills. If they get comfortable with the trees & tight spaces, they become very fast woods riders.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:51 PM

I took a riding class with Jeff Fredette, Mr ISDE, he holds the record for the most consecutive ISDE medals. I think he has around 28 straight medals now, and never a DNF. He still overalls the local enduros around here, and once again won the Dist. 17 AA enduro championship last year. Did I mention that he is in his mid 50's?

Anyway, he strongly emphasized to never brake slide. Instead he constantly pushes line choice, and avoiding the brake slide. There were several corners that I used to brake slide around, but I found that I can now come at them at a slightly different angle and maneuver the corner faster and with less energy than when I used to brake slide. I only brake slide now in an emergency situation or when I mess up. His class helped me tremendously by the way. I've also taken the Dirtwise class with Shane Watts, and I learned a lot from him also.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Neither here nor there. It all depends on what you call a brake slide. I think alot of us are picturing it to be someone locked up and crossed up into every turn before roosting on out.

Its definately not something I do intentionally, but as the pace increases and particularly in poor conditions, as the traction decreases its only expected that the bike will start to move around more, both under brakes and under power.

The key to riding faster longer is to ride smooth. Try and keep both wheels turning. Wheel spin is counter productive to moving forwards, locking a brake is counter productive to slowing down. Both look spectacular when put together, but provide no real benefits. If its that loose and slimey out that the bike will start to move under brakes then yeah you need to stay smooth and let the bike slide. Let it set you up for the corner and then smoothly power back up. I wouldn't call this intentionally brake sliding a corner though. Just riding the conditions.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:06 PM

This winter when it was too slick to really charge the corners I would spend time practicing sliding the rear on acceleration in an open field. I can't say I'm an expert at it or anything, but I managed my first full doughnut while standing this winter on mud and grass. It felt pretty cool to keep the rear spinning and sliding while standing. I'm hoping this translates well to the trails when the rear slides out at times. I prefer to slide the rear end under acceleration when necessary, but I can't say that it always works out like I plan it.