Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Banned

Default Full auto

I was just reading the auto clutch thread and there seems to be a 50/50 opinion.
Those of you who like the auto clutch.....what do you think about an engine with a full auto tranny like the Husky had back in the day ? Of course it would be updated so that it did not have the problems that the Husky had?
Before anyone assumes that GG or Sherco has asked me about this....they have not. I wanted to know what you guys thought?

Old 11-15-2012, 07:57 PM

I don't have an auto clutch and have never used one so haven't commented on that thread but I don't think an auto bike would be of interest to me. That's part of the fun of navigating trails, being in the right gear and having to fight through being in the wrong gear. The only thing that might be cool about an auto bike would be not worrying about the dreaded neutral drop on a hill climb!!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Its a hard one to call Clay. It would have to be able to be configured by the owners and also have the ability to change gears manually and also a clutch over-ride.

If it was set up to slip between the gears to provide max traction is poor conditions it would then take a hammering when you're trying to hook it up on some hard pack. It'd be unnerving riding in some slop and having it changing gears on its own unexpectidly. The bike becomes unpredictable enough in these conditions and the clutch is the saviour.

Also will there be a delay from when you click the next gear and it engaging like there are with cars with manual override?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:38 PM

Brilliant question, Clay.

I bet there would be lovers and haters. But if were reliable and made everyone a better rider, I think there would be a lot of takers.

On the gas or on the brakes: that's truly riding like a pro!

It would also have the gadget factor and be the latest and greatest. Many would buy it for just those facets.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:39 PM

What about clutchless...Direct-drive. gas on, gas off. Gearing choices would become fairly critical. Probably need to be shaft driven, and the list goes on...I'd like to do an autoclutch one of these days. Much like backpacking...As I get older comfort becomes a priority.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 PM

If it was something like the core exp that you could do for a couple hundy over the cost of the stock setup I think it would be a smart business move with either of the lines.

Most people would take the bump for a 700 dollar value if it only cost them 200 ish dollars...which by the time you don't pay for the stock basket etc. may be pretty close. I think you would get a TON of pumpkin riders that way.

I personally don't like them but would take the bump for a couple hundys and feel real good about it. I know all the rhetoric that goes with this conversation and I feel like I am pretty damn good with a clutch, but I think the REAL reason a lot more haven't tried one or KEPT one is the cost.

It would be a way to differentiate between a LOT of the Euro brands offering similar setups. I think it would be a shrewd move. I am sure you would also be getting quite the deal since you would essentially giving Rekluse or revloc or insert company name developing such a thing...A LOT of business.

Ballsy but I think it would pay off huge especially on small number brands such as GG or Sherco.

JMTC
Old 11-15-2012, 09:59 PM

I would be first in line for that. Strangely, I'm on the fence on just the clutch, but the auto shift would be awesome. I am one of the few folks that has had the priveledge of spending time on a Husky ae430. My friend had one, and it was AWESOME, except if was expensive when it broke, AND back then we didn't have F/R disk brakes. Funny, I've often wondered about getting ahold of an old AE430 (if I could find one with unbroken cases) and trying to retrofit a modern autoclutch (likely from 80cc) in place of the fragile first gear clutch pack, and then put on modern forks and brakes.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:45 AM
Banned

The way it was explained to me by an expert is that the cases would have to be totally different from what the current engines are like so I don't think you would have options of manual or auto but I don't know, honestly. I think all of the bugs of the old Husky could be fixed. I know it would be more expensive but hopefully no more than adding a Core EXP.
DOn't even think this is something GG or Sherco is contemplating. I am asking for personal rreasons.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
The way it was explained to me by an expert is that the cases would have to be totally different from what the current engines are like so I don't think you would have options of manual or auto but I don't know, honestly. I think all of the bugs of the old Husky could be fixed. I know it would be more expensive but hopefully no more than adding a Core EXP.
DOn't even think this is something GG or Sherco is contemplating. I am asking for personal rreasons.

I've been riding bikes with auto clutches for 6 years. Husky WR125 with an EFM was my first. I was a real doubter, especially with a 125, but it works. The EFM worked well with the 125, because it had full clutch lever action, which the old Rekluse didn't. I have an EXP in my Husaberg TE250.

I tried Husky Autos back in the day, but stuck to a 6 speed, as benefits didn't balance out the problems. I'm suprised Husky didn't try to get disc brakes front and rear on this bike sooner, like a Rokon.

How can small companies afford the extra tooling for these limited number of engine cases? Husaberg 70 degree engine is gone, supposedly because KTM doesn't want to bear the costs of keeping the existing or upgrading the tooling. Husky paid for the auto tooling with Swedish Military bike contracts. NATO going to buy GG Autos?

That said, I think the auto clutch is the perfect compromise. a gear for every situation and an auto clutch to smooth things out. Rokon and Husky proved that fully auto bikes (in two different flavors) will never gain wide acceptance. The amount of riders who rode autos in the day, was never even close percentage wise, to numbers running auto clutches today.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:36 AM

I'm thinking something like a CVT (continuously variable transmission), no clutches/gearsets. Functions like a torque converter on snowmobile but totally enclosed linked metal "belt". Like a few modern small cars. I raced a Honda Odyssey buggy a while back with essentially the same TC as a snomobile or the Rokon. You just hammer it and let the thing work. Problem was belt slippage, overheating, etc.