Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Not knowing a darn thing about much of anything, i find that a softer rear spring helps standing. without any load on the seat, when I was trying to stand the rear kicked a lot, I went two springs down and found that the bike just sticks now. That was for both the KTM 300xcw and the EC300. And that is for trails with lots of roots, jumps haven't been a problem, but if you are hanging fifty footers, ignore this advice Oddly, when I first made the change, I could not tell a big difference in speed, just felt better, the two guys I right with asked, "what happened to you? @#$@, you got faster!"

Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:53 PM

Find a good used 2007 model GG and keep the stock seat.

You will learn to stand in no time!
Old 01-24-2012, 02:29 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyellard View Post
Find a good used 2007 model GG and keep the stock seat.

You will learn to stand in no time!
or a KDX or an XR and ride with guys on new bikes - with their 1980's suspension technology you will learn the hard way how much better the suspension (read: reduced risk of falling to your death without any warning!) is when you stand. If you sit you will either end up paying serious road tax or finish the ride on your own!
Old 01-24-2012, 10:11 PM

Recently i asked a local older pro for some tips. He rode behind me for a bit and then pulled me over and threatened to take my seat off the bike. I was forced to ride a whole lap standing 100%, i rode one more for good measure. My legs were killing me but i stand much more now, that was after just two laps. When i pulled over he said "we just made you 50 % safer" by standing and keeping my feet on the pegs. Now I'm always trying to stand.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
Recently i asked a local older pro for some tips. He rode behind me for a bit and then pulled me over and threatened to take my seat off the bike. I was forced to ride a whole lap standing 100%, i rode one more for good measure. My legs were killing me but i stand much more now, that was after just two laps. When i pulled over he said "we just made you 50 % safer" by standing and keeping my feet on the pegs. Now I'm always trying to stand.
Same thing happened to me, but this wasn't an older pro. The guy that told me to stand I don't ride with very much even though I should ride with him more, but it's very intimidating. He pulled over during a ride tore his goggles off and looked at me and said, "your gonna have to stand up if you wanna get faster"! Now I feel weird if I dont stand up and when I do sit all I can picture is him saying that to me.

Learning when to stand and when you need to plant your butt on the seat comes in time and riding a varied mix of terrain. Watch some of these enduro vids, you will see the pros sitting at times and standing as well. It's just knowing when to do which.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:46 PM

I just read this whole post and you guys have given some awesome tips and training info. I'm more of a MX rider and trail (read lazy,slow) rider but I'm going to start putting what you guys have said into my riding. I just hope at 53 it's not to late for me LOL. Thanks!
Old 02-07-2012, 09:37 PM

too funny ... this thread keeps coming back to life!! 5 years and still running!! For the record I have gotten better at standing up but still not super comfortable with it all the time. my biggest problem now is my thighs burn up after only so loong ... hten it back in the seat for some recovery. I'm thinking I may raise the bars a bit to see if that helps.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:19 PM

I've found that with proper cockpit setup I can stand for much longer when riding. Technique goes a long way, but is aided greatly with setup. Seat to peg, bar height, etc. I had my previous orange scoot set up about as perfect as I ever had a bike and could transition from sitting to standing and visa versa with ease. Not quite there yet with the gasser.

Speaking of standing for moto, a few years back I had the pleasure to observe Stephan Everts racing a Unadilla national. He stood more than anyone I had ever seen in a moto, carrying more speed and just railing around guys in the corners. I was so impressed it prompted me to start practicing standing in corners that I'd normally be looking for a berm to hammer. I never got real good at it, but I look way cool doing it.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:53 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid jackson View Post
too funny ... this thread keeps coming back to life!! 5 years and still running!! For the record I have gotten better at standing up but still not super comfortable with it all the time. my biggest problem now is my thighs burn up after only so loong ... hten it back in the seat for some recovery. I'm thinking I may raise the bars a bit to see if that helps.
That will open up a whole new debate, there are so many differing views regarding bar raisers with pro's not doing it and the age old question about whether you ride like a pro. All that said I believe that if you are not comfortable on your bike (suspension, jetting etc) you will not enjoy your riding and I do enough things that I don't enjoy so will do all I can to keep biking enjoyable

As for stefan everts he really is a machine when it comes to skill. He is supposed to race the harescramble at erzberg this year (not only the prologue) I am interested to see how he handles the extreme stuff
Old 03-06-2012, 10:56 PM

I couldn't comfortably ride my old KTM standing up for anything. After the last couple weeks on the GG(tall bars, tall seat). I put both on the KTM, and pushed it back into a corner. I like the taller bars, but the tall "Ceet" allows me to hold on with my thighs(for me, compfy). I haven't had a serious case of monkey butt since.