Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:38 PM

Default Detroit Supercross

Hello all. My wife and I are taking the kids to the Detroit Supercross this weekend. We've never been so I don't know what to expect. Says the gates open at noon so I was going to try and catch some of the free ride and qualifying. Kids want to walk around and see the bikes and teams. Can you do that? Also to anyone who's been if everything starts at 6:30 what time should be in our seats. I'd like to see as much as possible. Checked out the website but don't see much. Any help is appreciated. dave

Old 03-16-2016, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Here's the actual race day schedule:
http://www.amasupercross.com/rules/p...it%20FINAL.pdf

You can get there at noon and cruise the pits.
Head back to your vehicle for lunch/tailgate.
Then go watch the practice.
Probably be at your seats around 5:30pm.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the schedule. I was on the supercross live website. I can't wait it's gonna be awesome. Appreciate the information.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

You're welcome.

For the Houston SX, we used to do it up BIG.
A few of us would get there at 10am with our RVs and set up a big tailgate party.
It was actually more fun than the racing itself.
One year, Emig's rental car got wrapped in Saran Wrap.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveec250 View Post
Hello all. My wife and I are taking the kids to the Detroit Supercross this weekend. We've never been so I don't know what to expect. Says the gates open at noon so I was going to try and catch some of the free ride and qualifying. Kids want to walk around and see the bikes and teams. Can you do that? Also to anyone who's been if everything starts at 6:30 what time should be in our seats. I'd like to see as much as possible. Checked out the website but don't see much. Any help is appreciated. dave
Outside in the daytime, especially if it's warm and sunny, and Ford Field is a nice place to be. Roll up about noon or one, stroll through the pits if you can, catch some early qualifying, then slip out to and get some grub. Don't be offended but they do a reasonably intrusive search everytime you enter the stadium, and they may even restrict what bags you can bring in.

You'll be in your seats long enough that if you're back by 6:30 or quarter of seven you're lots early. All that will be happening is lots of super loud announcing and fireworks.

We always pack several sets of the squishable earplugs ... trust me, you'll appreciate them when your ears aren't ringing all the way home. A small set of field glasses can be handy for checking out guys on the line but aren't really that helpful for action.

It will be a super long day, so stay hydrated and move around, and if you think you missed something you can likely catch it on the DVR Sunday.

We've been to a bunch of different races (San Diego was a new one this year, but Toronto, Phoenix, Anaheim, Pontiac in the old days, Minneapolis) and live SX can be really fun. Enjoy, and welcome to Michigan and Detroit.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 03-17-2016, 07:23 AM

I was thinking we'd take ear plugs. thanks for the info. we're staying a block from ford field so I'm hoping it'll be an easy trek from the hotel back and forth. seats seem reasonably good too. i'll be recording it too. weather looks to be colder this weekend so I guess we'll see what happens. Plan to hit the ford museum sunday before we head back to pa.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the reminder on earplugs!! I haven't been to a Supercross since it was in Pontiac, I'm taking my boys for the first time this year. Imagine its quite a ruckus with all the 4T's nowadays.

2009 EC300 Six Days
Old 03-17-2016, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

The ear plugs are for the annoying announcer!!
Old 03-17-2016, 09:45 AM

BTW the Emig saran wrap was funny. I think he does ok announcing but sometimes spouts off odd things at odd times during the broadcasts.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

I ment the announcer at the event. He constantly yells all night.